Thoughts on the LOMO 20-120 + Anamorphic adapter

Hi: I am looking at a LOMO 20-120 zoom, which I think is a great lens, along with the rear anamorphic attachment. Has anybody worked with this combo? What is the equivqlent focal range when you add the attachment? Is it still 20-120 or does it drop to 10-60 or go up to 40-240? What effect does the attachment have on the aperture? Finally,and most basically, how does it look and perform? Thanks

• Premium Member
Hi: I am looking at a LOMO 20-120 zoom, which I think is a great lens, along with the rear anamorphic attachment. Has anybody worked with this combo? What is the equivqlent focal range when you add the attachment? Is it still 20-120 or does it drop to 10-60 or go up to 40-240? What effect does the attachment have on the aperture? Finally,and most basically, how does it look and perform? Thanks

Well, I agree, it's a terrific lens. Everyone that has rented it has been very pleased, even tk people have been impressed with the anamorphic. The rear anamorphic attachment works great. Simple, effective, and you end up with a 40-240 zoom, so it's still pretty wide on the wide end. T3.4 is what you end up with using the adapter if memory serves. Very inexpensive compared to using primes, great macro features too, though you can't use it in anamorphic mode. You can use rear mounted gel filters too, which keeps costs down, 'cuz otherwise you're looking at 6x6s on the front. It does have funny zoom and focus gears though. I have used the Zacuto clamp on gears that work well, or even better are the delrin gears Steve Morton is making for $100 a piece. They interference fit right over the original gears.

One word of warning. The zoom movement requires very little effort to move it. Many of these lenses have been destroyed when shipped and the internal zoom elements slam into the front stationary elements. Be sure to put a piece of tape on the zoom barrel in the middle range of movement when it is shipped.

Enjoy!

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com

Well, I agree, it's a terrific lens.

Yes, This is one from better zoom lenses of USSR optical industry.

A some additional information from side of optical technician.

The spherical version of 35 OPF-18-1 zoom lens must be adjusted, must be adjusted of flange focal distance and other optical parameters.

After, you can adjust of rear anamorphic adapter.

If the spherical version of zoom lens will have bad adjust, the anamorphic version ( with rear anamorphic adapter ) will have too bad quality of image.

OPF-18 very complex system of optical and mechanical parts, that's why, the every element to influence on final quality of image.

For note.

The front anamoprhc adapter for not change of zoom rate at spherical version of lens ( Like Foton, 35 OPF-19-1A).

The rear anamoprhic adapter to change of zoom rate at spherical version of lens on 2x ( like 35OPF-7-1A, 35OPF-15-1A, 35OPF-18-1A and other ).

The anamorphic zoom lenses with front anamoprhic element have more big size, and weight from similar zoom lenses with rear anamorphic components.

The Anamorphic zoom lenses with rear anamoprhic components ask of more high level of precision adjusting.

• 4 years later...