Sony Bravia "Kaka" LCD TV

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

Once again my waterproof keyboard has paid for itself!

I received a press release today about Sony's new upcoming advertising campaign for their "200Hz" line of Bravia LCD TVs. (BRAVIA stands for "Best Resolution Audio Visual Integrated Architecture" by the way).

The 200Hz bit refers to their new "Motionflow" technology that produces interpolated frames of fast-moving objects, similar to the technology used by broadcasters to slow down football touchdowns and the like.

What we thought was hilarious is that in most English-speaking countries, the terms "movement" and "motion" are polite euphemisms for having a poop, while in many places "kaa-Kaa" is a childish euphemism for poop itself!

So, to promote the new product with emphasis on enhanced motion/movement, they've recruited a Brazilian soccer player whose nickname is "Kaka" :rolleyes:

Do you think this was deliberate, or they that unworldly?

By the way, I've watched quite a few football games (including the Super Bowl) on my decidedly not 200Hz LCD TV, and I'm damned if I can see what needs improving. 8mS seems more than fast enough.

I have shot some footage in the progressive mode at 60 frames per second and even at these speeds if the camera is panned too fast you end up with a stroboscopic look. Professional cameramen who shoot football games are aware of the limitations and usually limit their panning speeds so the footage looks good. But if you hand a video camera to some 8 year old kid you will probably need to shoot at 120 frames per second just to keep up with those whipper snappers.