Shooting Super 8 at 24 fps or 25 fps - help appreciated

Mark Davies

I am producing a short and have decided to film on Super 8, followed by telecine transfer. It is a period comedy (set in 1965) and, therefore must look like proper film. Now, I am not a technical director and last shot super 8 25 years ago, so I would just like to clear one thing up. If 24 fps is the digital world's big target for The Film Look, what happens to the look of my Super 8 footage if it is actually shot on the 25 fps setting (as suggested to me by a telecine transfer place)? I already know that the film will get a cinema showing at least once (as part of an opening of a new screen overseas where I know the owners) so this film will be seen large as well as on a DVD/online/whatever can be managed.

I am sure the real experts are probably going to think I'm an idiot, but I'm hoping there's some slack applied for novices to new formats. My question is will filming at 25 fps change anything inherently filmic about the footage, and will it then become a problem down the road if I need a proper print for a cinema showing (ie a 16 mm print rather than a digital projection)? I am using a Braun Nizo 6080 which has a 25 fps crystal sync modification (not that I am necessarily going to use it, and certainly not if I shoot at 24 fps).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

Mark

AFAIK, the Nizos are the only cameras that will shoot at 25fps. There won't be any difference at all in the results compared to 24. When printed out to 35mm or projected at 24 fps there will be no noticeable difference-- it's just one frame slower.

To make a long story short, 25fps is designed for European television because it divides evenly into the scanning/50hz power there. In America it makes no difference. So it really depends upon where you are and what telecine system you want to use.

BTW, 24 or 25 fps will give you less flicker than 18. If you are trying to get a real, more-commercial film look, then go for these higher frames rates-- but they are not necessary for good transfers.

Edited by Jim Carlile

There is absolutely no difference. Do 25 FPS and don't worry about this.

So, as example, I always shot in 24 FPS and then did a 25 FPS transfer on a Rank.

You can always correct that 'one frame' difference in post if you want

AFAIK, the Nizos are the only cameras that will shoot at 25fps.

And Leicina Special, of course :)

There is absolutely no difference. Do 25 FPS and don't worry about this.

So, as example, I always shot in 24 FPS and then did a 25 FPS transfer on a Rank.

You can always correct that 'one frame' difference in post if you want

And Leicina Special, of course :)

Thank you Jim, and Alexander. Much appreciated, and understood.