1st camera...

Guest weez0268

Guest weez0268

i'm new to filmmaking and have little experience. i was just wondering what is a good camera to start on. i don't want to spend more than like 500-600 dollars on one. and what is the best software for a windows computer? i know that final cut is good, but i don't know if that is on windows. my friend has that for his mac, and that is what we have used in the past to edit our films. i have a demo of uLead, but, without a camera, i haven't been able to really mess around with it.

thanks for your help...

• Premium Member
i'm new to filmmaking and have little experience.  i was just wondering what is a good camera to start on.  i don't want to spend more than like 500-600 dollars on one.  and what is the best software for a windows computer?  i know that final cut is good, but i don't know if that is on windows.  my friend has that for his mac, and that is what we have used in the past to edit our films.  i have a demo of uLead, but, without a camera, i haven't been able to really mess around with it. 

thanks for your help...

I'm not really sure what cameras you could get in that range. For windows video software, Adobe Premier is probably your best bet. Unfortunately, in my experience, it crashes like crazy. Macs tend to be much better video machines.

Hi. If I may:

Vegas is good editing software for Windows. Excellent, even. Highly underrated and mostly unknown. Those who use it know it rocks, and don't listen to the naysayers. Stupidly easy to use, and really pretty powerful (bin management iffy with Win XP, and it doesn't do EDLs, real ones anyway. Anything else you want, you got it: chroma key, color correction, color curves, very good audio utilities.) One dude's opinion. On the other hand, if you're trying to train yourself, aiming for a pro career as an editor, I sadly concede going with Premiere (some production houses use it), or Avid would probably be better until the world discovers the glory that is Vegas.

Any chance you're a student? If so, look into Academic discounts for the aforementioned products. Also, there should be free demos/trials available for Vegas, Premiere, and Avid (I think there's even a free Avid, but it's limited in its feature set).

Guest Marko Hila

$600 will get you a low end, maybe a second hand 1CCD from Sony (DCRTRV-33e) DV Camcorder. The good thing about these cameras is that they give you all the DV editing options on earth. You can mock around shall we say... Although even if you get the best out of these cameras, the picture won't make it too far. It's only good for home video standards unfortunately.

Good luck,

Marko

Guest Marko Hila

One more thing, about s/wares?

Ulead is great value for money. I recommend you to get started with that one over Pinnacle v9, which are priced similarly. Using Ulead for starters is good to evaluate your limits, but you will end up with Premiere Pro eventually.

All the best,

Marko