Trainee Interview

Hi all,

I've got an interview for the camera trainee scheme at the Guild of British Camera Technicians this Thursday and I really don't want to stuff it up! All i've been told is that it should last no longer than an hour so i'm not really sure what to expect. In terms of preparation i'm just re-aquainting myself with my favourite films/DPs/genres/lighting styles etc and i'm taking along a small number of my own stills. If any of you have been through similar interview situations then i'd really like to hear what I might possibly be asked, I haven't had a proper interview since......well ever really. Cheers!

James Blann - nervous man

I'd study up on the Guild itself, and be well versed in what it is they offer to professionals in the field. Also, if you have any technical background with cameras, I would express that in some way. They may ask you things like what your favorite movies are, etc., but if you already have some good knowledge of film & video formats, lenses, cameras, etc., then I'd say you have a good foundation to begin your training on, making you a more attractive candidate.

Good luck!

I had an interview for a similar thing in Scotland this year, through Scottish Screen. Some of the main things they asked were about the various roles within the camera dept and what they entailed, so I would make sure you read up on this and make sure you understand who does what in each role. Also what experiences you have had on shoots so far and what duties/responsibilities you have had. They were a lot more interested in the technical understanding and roles themselves, rather than your favourite films/cinematography, which caught me out a wee bit!!!

Anyway, just thought i'd pitch in and offer a wee bit of info from someone who's been there.

Hope it's of some use.

Good Luck

Thanks guys that seems like very sound advice! I know the skillset site has a very decent job profile section so i'll take another look over that and refresh myself on formats etc on here. Jobs a goodun'. Thanks again!