Nikon Lenses on Prosumer HD

Hey All,

I have an upcoming project where, due to budgetary reasons (grumble) we are being forced to shoot on the piece-of-crap "HD" (HDV) prosumer camera that is the magnificent Sony HVR S270E.

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowProduct...y=HDVCamcorders

This camera has a 1/3 inch standard Bayonet mount lens.

I have a set on Nikon 35mm stills lenses which i want to use for the shoot because of the superior optical quality to the built in Zeiss lens that comes with the camera.

I also have an adapter at my disposal that will allow me to mount the Nikon lenses to a Sony EX1

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowProduc...XDCAMCamcorders

My question is, will the EX1 adapter be compatible with the HVR?

If not, is there an adapter available that will allow me to mount my Nikon primes onto the HVR, and if so does anyone know where these can be bought or rented in the UK.

Thanks for any help!

Robin

With the Nikon lenses being for Fullframe 35mm (i.e. Vistavison) it will be useless on the HVR even if your adaptor from the EX1 is working. You'd have to use an image converter like P+S Pro35 to actually use the lenses and to make them perform like they should.

Hmm this is curious to me, as the person who i'm borrowing the adapter from has used Nikon lenses in the past with an EX1 and hasn't experienced any problems...perhaps i'll ask him exactly how it is calibrated. Perhaps his adapter has an image converter built in. I assumed because he said "adapter" it was just a standard mechanical fitting, but it could actually be something similar to the Pro35 or movietube.

Are you sure it was for the EX1? The EX1 has a fixed lens an would need a ground glass type adapter to make it work. Now if it was for the EX3 which has a bayonet mount it might be possible, but the EX3 has a 1/2" bayo which will not work with a 1/3" on your 270.

Even if it did work, the widest lens you could find would be a 18mm or something like that. Wide for 35mm, but nearly telephoto in a 1/3" camera.

• Premium Member

They do tend to refer to those devices (Pro35, Letus, Redrock, etc) as "35mm lens adapters". If he was using Nikon lenses on an EX1, it was almost certainly one of these devices.

Most of the time, for fixed lens cameras, they thread to the front of the lens or have some other method of generating a light tight seal with the fixed lens. I would be very surprised if the adapter designed for the EX1 would fit the lens on the S270. I know that the P+S technik Pro35 has a 2/3" B4 version and a 1/2" bayonet. I'm not sure about a 1/3" bayonet. Maybe the place you are renting the S270 from might be of help.