Red Riding

Hey, so who saw any of this bizarre but intriguing mini-series?

I saw the last part, which was shot on the RED, it was extraordinary to look at - very grand, very stylish and very impressive. It was however very RED looking, burnt out whites and strange skin-tones - but they seemed to very much run with this style and make it work for them - very brave, but it really worked.

Can't wait to catch up on the previous episodes.

Guest Stephen Murphy

I actualy prefered the 1st episodes photography. Beautiful use of shallow depth of field and smoke. Great colour palette. Great textures. Shot on super 16.

I keep getting loads of emails from students that have graduated from that school, asking for work.

When I was there it was a post-graduate course, part of Sheffield Hallam Uni, and operated out of its own premises in the so-called Cultural Industries quarter. Since then, they have relocated to the uni's own arts campus, and become an undergraduate course, I believe. It tended to suffer from what all British film schools do (other than the National) which is lack of funding, and an inability to attract a high standard of lecturers.

They were also fond of allowing foreign students to attend, because of the increased fees, but without enforcing the University rule that foreign students be able to speak english. That led to some interesting times on set.....

When I was there it was a post-graduate course, part of Sheffield Hallam Uni, and operated out of it's own premises in the so-called Cultural Industries quarter. Since then, they have relocated to the uni's own arts campus, and become an undergraduate course, I believe. It tended to suffer from what all British film schools do (other than the National) which is lack of funding, and an inability to attract a high standard of lecturers.

They were also fond of allowing foreign students to attend, because of the increased fees, but without enforcing the University rule that foreign students be able to speak english. That led to some interesting times on set.....

That sounds exactly like my MA at Bristol funny enough, there the dusty teachers reminded me of the four wives from Raise the Red Lantern, even though 3 of the 4 full-timers were men...

• Premium Member

my poop V+ thingy conked out halfway through the third one! aaaaahhhhh. will have to wait for dvd to finish the trilogy which overall I thought were fantastic. The scripts and acting were top notch as were pretty much all the tech departments. as for the best visually I'll agree with Stephen here that the first was my favourite- i didn't infact realise it was s16 till the night shoots turned into a grain fest. It was beautiful, atmospheric and the S16 held up really well on my plasma - hopefully they'll produce a Bluray so I can scrutinise it properly. Number two was not such a great film overall as the script was clearly trying to mash too much together into the one piece (not sure but maybe trying to get two books into one film?) also wasn't a fan of some of the framing but the lighting was great. Number 3... what a disapointment- I had hoped that they'd go anamorphic but instead Red with Vantage Blue filtres... not blaming the DP but the Vantage Blue looked naff and worse than I'd seen them on other pics. they were heavilly used and seemed to extenuate the Red's shortcomings- pasty skins, flat image and bizaarly perceptively less resolution than the first S16 one! Surprised there is not that much talk on these boards as this was the best British crime TV in... well... ever?