Extracting RED stills for Adobe Photoshop

gregori mastrianni

I am trying to learn how to import single frames from RED footage as still images into Adobe Photoshop. As RED captures the source information in raw I assume these files should be importable into Photoshop. I have read a lot about the digital work flow in post production using Avid or AfterEffects and such, but I have not been able to find any information on how single frames could be extracted from the RED source raw captures. As I would like to obtain the highest quality to work from I do not believe extracting from the Quicktime movies will work, although I am not adept enough to know for sure. If anyone has experience in this regard or could point me to a knowledgeable source I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks, greg

I am trying to learn how to import single frames from RED footage as still images into Adobe Photoshop. As RED captures the source information in raw I assume these files should be importable into Photoshop.

Not yet, though that's a great idea.

RedAlert is the primary tool for exporting TIFFs or DNGs from RED RAW files.

• Premium Member
As RED captures the source information in raw I assume these files should be importable into Photoshop.

No, Red's "raw" is their own proprietary compressed version of what comes off their Bayer chip. It has to be processed by their software, such as "Red Alert", or by third party sofware using their SDK, to get it into a standard format that Photoshop can use.

-- J.S.

I am trying to learn how to import single frames from RED footage as still images into Adobe Photoshop.

Hi Greg,

When I need single frames, I use either RedCine (free download from red.com) or Adobe Premiere CS4.01

Hope this helps,

Antony

• 1 month later...
The new photoshop will allow you to bring in .mov files. Just bring in one of the higher quality proxy files and simply do a "save as" tiff, jpg, whatever you want.

.mov's won't have the latitude of the raw image, which is where the good stuff is.

red alert and redcine should help. Tiff's are more than fine (16 bit color space, when red is 12bit)

• 2 weeks later...
.mov's won't have the latitude of the raw image, which is where the good stuff is.

red alert and redcine should help. Tiff's are more than fine (16 bit color space, when red is 12bit)

In FCP:

Import _F or _H proxy clip to Browser

Pick the frame you want

Export > Using QuickTime Conversion

Format > Still Image

use Options button for settings

voila

• 1 month later...
In FCP:

Import _F or _H proxy clip to Browser

Pick the frame you want

Export > Using QuickTime Conversion

Format > Still Image

use Options button for settings

voila

Better to take your still from the RAW and not the proxy, you will have a far better file. Do it in REDAlert, it's too easy.