best way to set diopiter canon 814az

matthew lumley

i am new to film and have no idea can someone explain the best way to set diopiter for canon 814 az

also if i am shooting indoors with artificial light and tri-x do i swith the switch on the side so the bulb symbol is showing or the sun, i guess its the bulb but just want to make sure

cheers

• Premium Member
i am new to film and have no idea can someone explain the best way to set diopiter for canon 814 az

also if i am shooting indoors with artificial light and tri-x do i swith the switch on the side so the bulb symbol is showing or the sun, i guess its the bulb but just want to make sure

cheers

It's the bulb. That's the symbol for tungsten light.

To set the diopter, focus the lens as close as possible and point the camera at a bright light. You should be able to focus the diopter until you can see the texture in the groundglass.

To set the diopter, focus the lens as close as possible and point the camera at a bright light. You should be able to focus the diopter until you can see the texture in the groundglass.

Actually that technique only works with cameras with ground glass viewing systems. Practically all super 8 cameras don't have a ground glass and rely on an aerial image. As such, you need to follow the steps I lay out on the following page:

http://nanolab.com.au/focusing.htm

cheers,

richard

• Premium Member
Actually that technique only works with cameras with ground glass viewing systems. Practically all super 8 cameras don't have a ground glass and rely on an aerial image. As such, you need to follow the steps I lay out on the following page:

http://nanolab.com.au/focusing.htm

cheers,

richard

Oh, well...I guess that shows how much I know about shooting super 8. I've never shot anything smaller than S16.

I'll leave the tiny film to the tiny film experts. :lol:

Keep it at bulb-- this will keep the internal 85 filter out of the path and you'll get a little more film speed-- also those filters are getting old and could degrade the image.

To set the diopter-- the easiest, best way is to zoom to the most extreme telephoto, then set the focus at infinity. Aim the camera at a faraway vertical object, like a telephone pole, and then adjust the diopter until the split image comes together in the middle. On that camera it should 'pop' into position very cleanly.

The most accurate way is more cumbersome-- set the camera on a tripod, get a measuring tape, and place an object exactly at a distance as inscribed on the lens, from the focal plane to the object. Set the lens at this marked distance.

Use the diopter to focus the image in the viewfinder, then repeat this process on as many of the scored distances as you can. They should all match the same diopter setting.