Unloading 535 mag

That depends… Where do we draw the line between changing bag and darkroom. Specifically,what size person needs to fit inside before it becomes the latter? Discuss.

I know this is thread-rot, but its better than arguing. I'll allow it.

Can I count the homemade darkbox I put in the back of an SUV to change 16"x20" sheet film holders? ;)

Isn't 16x20" sheet film overkill for, let's see, umm, just about everything?

"Yeah, I normally shoot 4x5", like Ansel Adams did, but this shot really would't work with the very limited resolution of 4x5", so I am shooting it with 16x20" instead. . ." :unsure:

:P

• Premium Member
Isn't 16x20" sheet film overkill for, let's see, umm, just about everything?

"Yeah, I normally shoot 4x5", like Ansel Adams did, but this shot really would't work with the very limited resolution of 4x5", so I am shooting it with 16x20" instead. . ." :unsure:

:P

Ansel Adams shot 8x10 mostly. All of his famous work was 8x10 with the exception of a few portraits that were 35mm.

16x20 isn't overkill at all if you like contact printing processes like Pt/Pd where your negative must be the same size as your print. You wouldn't think it's overkill if you had ever seen a large contact print. They're breathtaking.

"Standard" (I put it in quotes because view camera sizes were always rather loose standards with the exception of 4x5 and 8x10 in the US) sizes of view cameras go up to 20x24, which used to be referred to as the "mammoth" format.

Edited by Chris Keth

Things To Do With Cores Besides Put Them In The Middle Of The Roll:

1. If you have really, really, really big ear lobe piercings, you can rock that kinda neo-tribal camera geek look.

2. 16mm cores bounce. Fun ensues.

3. Cat toy.

4. Tape holder.

5. Art sculpture.

6. Have a trusting friend hold up a pencil and toss the cores.

7. Hockey (already mentioned but worth re-mentioning).

8. Surprise your friends with a game of Film Core, Paper, Scissors.

9. See how many you can fit in an empty Arricam ST body case. (Note: rental house game only, generally a winter sport)

10. Glue them to your shoes and pretend to tap dance and then put it on YouTube. I dare you. Come on, it would be funny.

Yes. It is slow right now.

Other Fun Rental House Games:

1. See if you can be the first one to get the Fed Ex label off the case- start your stop watches! Only one razor blade per floor tech.

2. Follow focus marking disk toss: you lose points if you spill the bucket of Simple Green when tossing.

3. Camera case Tetris. Not to be attempted at 5:45 pm when everyone is just trying to leave.

4. Magliner races.

5. Obscure Filter Scavenger Hunt.

6. Make your own tape ball!

7. Tinker toys with camera accessories and brackets. Be creative and make some weird handheld accessory mount handle thingy that nobody will ever use. Or just connect ALL the SR eyepiece extensions (I know a guy at CSC who did this and it was hilarious). Only works with Arri equipment. Bonus points if you can name all the German catalog numbers for each part.

8. Wireless lens control system channel fights.

9. Mag races. Bonus round: one-handed.

10. Camera trivia. Loser buys drinks.

;) I worked at CSC about 3 years ago and I started there in January, so it was pretty slow, to say the least. Once we had scrubbed all the cases and swept the floors, we had to find other ways to stay amused...when it was really slow, it was kinda like working in a monastery. And when it was busy, it was like working at a zoo. :lol: When I worked in the equipment room at SCAD, we made a fort out of the sandbags once. Ya know, it's the little things in life....

Once we had scrubbed all the cases and swept the floors, we had to find other ways to stay amused...when it was really slow, it was kinda like working in a monastery.

You've worked in a monastery too? :P

Lol. I want to get back to 16x20" sheet film though. . .

Someone did an excellent job of dodging my question, which was: In what situations is it not overkill?"

Umm, so if you're printing with platinum, which, at current prices is over $1,500U.S./tr.oz., then it's common-place? Is that correct? B)

• Premium Member
You've worked in a monastery too? :P

Lol. I want to get back to 16x20" sheet film though. . .

Someone did an excellent job of dodging my question, which was: In what situations is it not overkill?"

Umm, so if you're printing with platinum, which, at current prices is over $1,500U.S./tr.oz., then it's common-place? Is that correct? B)

I didn't dodge a thing. :P For most people and situations, it is massive overkill. I told you the exception which I happen to fall into: contact printers.

Pt/Pd is not at all uncommon in fine art photography printing. Ansel Adams did it. Edward Weston did it. Many other people interested in the very best black and white image possible do it. No, it's not the cheapest method of printing, especially since the learning curve is quite steep, but you're only depositing minute amounts of the metals in the paper. It's also not the only precious metal printing process. Silver is the normal standard but one can print or tone with gold, Platinum, Palladium, I've even heard of Uranium printing. If someone wants a similar look for less money, they can use only Palladium, but a mix of Platinum and Palladium makes a nicer tone and contrast for most subjects.

Edited by Chris Keth