Firmware 1.0.6 vs 1.0.7

Oliver Christoph Kochs

• Premium Member

Hello,

i have finally upgraded to the newer 1.0.7 version of the 5D2 firmware. IMHO it's no good for filming.

I now have white flashes in my movies when i use any the manual iris "tricks". Like i.e. Nikon lenses or unscrewing the lens after setting the stop. Even if the * is pressed the auto ISO setting seems to jump now while filming! Grrrr!!!!

I DO want the old version 1.0.6 back but i can't find it online. I called and e-mailed Canon but maybe someone here knows where to get it.

If you use the 5D2 for filming: PLEASE DON'T UPDATE TO 1.0.7.

I should have known. Dammit.

• Premium Member

Addition: White flashes occur only when Canon EF lenses are used. Not on the adapted Nikons. Since these must be unscrewed from the mount for locking the iris, something strange happens on my 24-70.

I haven't tried other lenses yet but i'll post anything worth mentioning. Has anybody else expierienced strange occurences when using the newer firmware?!?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Seems like i'm running this thread alone. Problems still occur for me resulting in stuttering movies. In some settings there's flashing. I tried to get 1.0.6 over the net. No way.

I finally called Canon and the support guy just told me that (even if he had the 1.0.6)

it would be impossible to downgrade to 1.0.6 because the camera won't allow to install older fimware.

Seems like i'm running this thread alone. Problems still occur for me resulting in stuttering movies. In some settings there's flashing. I tried to get 1.0.6 over the net. No way.

I finally called Canon and the support guy just told me that (even if he had the 1.0.6)

it would be impossible to downgrade to 1.0.6 because the camera won't allow to install older fimware.

Hey Oliver, yeah I can confirm we have had problems with stuttering ever since we did the firmware update.

We shot in almost the same situation, great with 1.0.6 - a nightmare with 1.0.7. Seems to be worst in bright sunlight,

we we have to deal with quite a lot here in Oz. It sucks hey.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Thanx, Glenn. So i know that i'm not the only case where this is happening.

Yesterday i went all the way to the top and spoke to 3 Canon sales reps at a roadshow event.

I proved the white flashing to them on the spot. Then I got the following official info from them:

- Canon does not re-distribute any of the old firmware, which i really think isn't custumor-friendly.

- A new firmware will be released within the next 30 days that will allow to set some manual controls (at least aperture control).

It seems like Canon is reacting on the adaptation of "third party" lenses. Whether this next firmware release will still allow the use of Nikon etc. glass is uncertain.

- Different frame rates technically are not a big thing. But no comment about it being in the next firmware release.

The longer i talked the more obvious it got how the 5D2 is crippled on purpose from its software side.

It's just frustrating to own a car that has all the gear but just drives backwards, but hey, you can reverse it in post.

I imagine that everyone knows about the 5dmii firmware upgrade that was announced yesterday (May 27). It is supposed to add the following:

Full aperture selection

ISO speed: Auto, 100 – 6400 and H1

Shutter speed: 1/30th – 1/4000th second

It will be available for download from the Canon site on June 2nd. The DPreview website has all the info:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0905/09052701...kiifirmware.asp

There is also a programmer on the Cinema5d board that has reported success (and demonstrated it with a video clip) hacking the 1.0.7 firmware to remove AGC on the audio input and to also add an audio meter in the viewfinder. His intent is to make more changes and this success was proof that the firmware can be hacked.

Its interesting that I saw the clip that demos the hack over the weekend but now it seems to have disappeared..or moved to somewhere else and at any rate, I can't find it anymore.