stepping back to step up

craigd

Hi there,

I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction re learning over again.

I am a camerman with 10 years experience in television. I can shoot any format of video camera but couldnt use a film camera to save my life.....

Being freelance, this has ended up on me missing out on some jobs that would have just been gold to me.

So it is my new endeavour to learn. I must be 1/2 way there?

I have seen a few cinematography books but want one that is more relevant to somebody like myself not a complete beginner, eg, not 10 page lessons on 'crossing the line' etc....

more , the mechanics and traits of film and tips for shooting......

Any ideas

Thanks in advance

Craig Donaldson

Actually, I would think your skills are much in demand these days with so much electronic cinematography going on.

If you don't have a background in basic film technology I suggest>

The Negative by Ansel Adams

Other Good books.

Cinematography by Kris Malkiewicz(sp)

ASC Film Manual- You'll find a lot of specific technical info here.

Film Lighting by Malkiewicz

Filmmakers Handbook by Pincus and Asher

Masters of Light by Schaefer and Salvato

Professional Lighting Handbook Verne and Sylvia Carson

Film lighting books are good to read because film lighting technique can be somewhat different than the average video shoot.

Hey Craig,

I’ll put in my two cents worth. First let me say, I’m glad you’re shooting film. Operating any particular film camera will differ from camera to camera. You can take that on as the cameras present themselves across your experience. You’ll find manuals for most cameras on this website and or from links attainable at this site. Forgive me if, in the following, I say something you already know. That said, if I were you, I’d go directly for what’s missing. Begin with knowing the film. More important than anything, I think. Unlike electronic medium, this is photography is the traditional sense. There’s a lot of different filmstocks made for variety of differences, film speed, grain structure, high or low contrast and of course Tungsten or daylight. Filmstock choice, exposure control and lab processes to me would be the most immediate hurdle to jump. It’s a huge subject you’ll have to get use to actually using your meter and thinking like the filmstock sees the light, NOT how the monitor or finder is revealing it to you. You’ve got to be able to predict accurately what’s coming back from the lab. You’ve got to fill out the lab report when you send in the film. Push or Pull? You've got the controls. Kodak has great pamphlets on just about every technical thing you have to know about. Rent a little 16mm somewhere and go shoot a 100 ft. roll (~$40) of some filmstock that you’ve selected after having read about all the stocks. If I had to advise a book for you it would probably be: Cinematography; Theory and Practice-Image making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers by Blain Brown ISBN 0-240-80500-3. I use that book for my Cinematography students and to the best of my knowledge, I've read most of them if not all. It's a great survey with a fair amount of details as well.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/Products

Thanks for your guidance guys!

The changeover is something i have wanted to explore for a while and a good friend of mine is a film man from way back, so he too is a a bit of a fountain of knowledge.

Iv'e known for a while that all the 'good stuff'- well what i consider good stuff- is still shot on film and if i can make the crossover i'm sure i can have a job that i really love......gotta get away from these uptight egotistical television prima donna presenters and start shooting some sport.

good on ya's

thanks again

craig d