Is there a demand?

Charles Lorch

I am trying to decide if a 900 is in my companies future. We are relatively new in terms of the company, but have all worked in the Tallahassee, FL market for more than 35 years combined between the three of us. The only packages in the market are SP but are well established with the typical crew hire agencys (Crews Control, Crew Connection). Is there a demand for the 900 that with make it worth the extra cash (would need a deck as well) to go the 900 route versus just going with Beta to get to HD faster. Will the work be there?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Charles -

Here in LA some people call the SDX-900 the "Beta-Killer."

I've seen demand for the camera increase dramatically over the last 6 months - including a job for Crews Control.

J

I can only speak from the NYer's perspective, there are companies requesting the 900. You can only answer the question for your marketplace. If the question is would I buy a new Beta rig the answer would be NO FRIGGIN' WAY. I see Beta's future being bleak. I still have my old Beta rig and use it when requested, but if I had my way SDX-900 for any job for standard def. TV. I have the Canon HD21X7.5 lens on the rig and I love the picture. I was able to use all my old camera accessories (except for my filters, the Canon's front element is huge). I generally choose to shoot in the 16:9 30P format when the project is mine. For most of the clients requesting the rig I shoot 60i either 4:3 or 16:9 depending on their editing systems. I love the way the colors burst on the scene, the way I can blow out but still have details in the whites, and the way I can see into the shadows. The size and the weight are nice. The price is actually very reasonable I'm into mine for under $45K. Rental houses in NY are getting around $700/day for the rig. It's not very tricky to start learning and then you can slowly dive into the customizable setting. Best of luck.

JD

www.cineshooter.com

Thanks all for the input. I know I want the camera, I just wanted some reasurance that it was worth the jump now as opposed to a wait for HD. I got one a couple months back as a demo and could certainly see the possibilities and got excited. I also was reading all you guys posts along with other articles and have yet to find a single person to post a negative. I'll just be sure which aspect ratio I'm shooting in. :rolleyes: But I think I can handle it.

• 1 month later...
Thanks all for the input. I know I want the camera, I just wanted some reasurance that it was worth the jump now as opposed to a wait for HD. I got one a couple months back as a demo and could certainly see the possibilities and got excited. I also was reading all you guys posts along with other articles and have yet to find a single person to post a negative. I'll just be sure which aspect ratio I'm shooting in. :rolleyes:  But I think I can handle it.

Heres a Canadian perspective. As an owner of Beta SP and a huge Sony fan I must say the 900 is quickly becoming what the Betacam was 10-12 years ago when they introduced the 400-400A series, Up here it is quickly becoming the workhorse. And as stated earlier is becoming the Beta killer.

My 2 cents

Scott

Edited by Scott Imler