Anamorphic Lenses

Paul_M

Hi,

Can anyone suggest any good place to BUY anamorphic lenses (presumably secondhand?). Am ideally looking for a set of primes for an Arri PL mount Arri 2c 35mm camera, though would consider a zoom or individual lenses.

Also (assumin thatinterested in any opinions as to which lenses would be most suited to give a contrasty, very warm, very saturated look (soft/classic is fine for this feature). Result will be projected not transferred.

Thanks.

Paul,

I highly recommend contacting Anders Banke at Solid Entertainment, he can give you advice and find Lomo anamorphic lenses in PL mount.

Solid Entertainment

There's also Rafael Pankratau of rafCamera (he sells a lot of Russian film stuff on eBay), I have bought equipment from him and recommend him too. Here's his eBay shop, but contact him for special lens types/PL conversion:

RafCamera

You did not mention how much money you are willing to spend. Since you stick to your Arri2C, I suppose buying a set of new Hawk lenses (see www.vantagefilm.com) is out of question. For low budget work, nothing beats Lomo in anamorphic.

The Russian zoom lenses converted to anamorphic through an anamorphic back adapter are very good, but you will need a lot of light. Primes are of course faster, it depends on the kind of feature that you are planning.

example anamorphic zoom

There are older designs like the square front Lomo primes and anamorphic fronts for Lomo/Lenar zooms, but if you can afford it, get the newer round front lenses. If you buy a zoom lens, add a wide angle prime because most of the "anamorphosed" spherical zooms start at 50mm, so you will be happier with an additional wide angle like 35mm for shooting in cars, elevators and other tight spaces.

Edited by Christian Appelt
  • Upvote 1