Reducing Paper Usage

Ernie Zahn

Hey,

So is anyone else trying to figure out ways to reduce paper consumption on the set? I had an Amazon Kindle for a little while, I picked it up cheap but I really didn't get much use out of it. I have text books for school, most of which are not available in ebook form, and the only other documents I read are screenplays and shot lists etc. I'm not really using this device for it's full or true capacity if I'm just reading documents. Besides the cost! I got mine really cheap then sold it on eBay and had lot's of cash for other set expenses,

Most people have lap tops but most lap tops don't last much longer than 5 hours and we'll be out doors shooting for 12 weeks and 8 hours each shoot a day.

The simplest solution is just to share a minimal amount of scripts/shot lists etc., but now there are way too many cast and crew to really make that feasible. Of course, if thats the most common solution, then it's probably the best one.

If you're making "Green" efforts, what do you do to reduce paper consumption? Even if you don't care about trees, maybe you're doing it to cut costs. What are you doing?

With paper recycling getting so much more efficient and common (some universities now use 100% recycled source paper), why would you replace the minimal environmental impact of paper (which you either store or recycle) with a far-more impactful Lithium ion or nickel cadmium battery?

Keep in mind that a lot of energy you spend charging those batteries come from coal too.

"Going Green" efforts are often incredibly misguided. Rechargeable batteries are better than the non-rechargeable kind, but they ultimate still contribute to massive amounts of pollution, especially with the proliferation of laptops.

I just make an effort to recycle all plastic and paper that I no longer have a need for, and try not to buy products that consist of plastics other than the "1" or "2" variety, which CAN be recycled but only at great cost.

It is amazing though, how many people who still casually throw all of their recyclable papers in the wastebasket.

There is, also, an epic amount of glass that gets heaved into the dumpster behind every bar every night.

The simplest thing that people do, that is just for ease of use and not so much for reducing paper consumption, is printing scripts at 1/4 size. You could do that with your shot lists and stuff as well.

Although there is a large amount of waste that is generated by the film industry, that doesn't mean you can't try and do something about it...Just yeah, make sure your efforts are doing something! On the last few sets I've been on I've noticed some printout they've had around about what each department could do to reduce their carbon footprint. I wish I could find a copy of it online...

• Premium Member
The simplest thing that people do, that is just for ease of use and not so much for reducing paper consumption, is printing scripts at 1/4 size. You could do that with your shot lists and stuff as well.

Although there is a large amount of waste that is generated by the film industry, that doesn't mean you can't try and do something about it...Just yeah, make sure your efforts are doing something! On the last few sets I've been on I've noticed some printout they've had around about what each department could do to reduce their carbon footprint. I wish I could find a copy of it online...

Assuming you print 4 pages to a sheet of paper. I actually saw a PA print sides at 1/2 o 1/4 size and leave it 1 page per sheet of paper and then cut off the excess and pitch it.

Yes, I do this too, when it is appropriate (my copy), and the script won't be too difficult to read.

Remember the three Rs of recycling are Reduce, Reuse, and *then* Recycle. Cutting your paper costs by [almost] 75% are definitely taking you a long way with the first R.

Of course, this industry is about reliability. The lower-tech something is, the less hassle it will be (of course, I have had paper blow away). So keep it simple, STUPID!

Yeah, I'd shy away from using a computer unless you have access to a car with a power inverter or a tap off of a generator. Laptops batteries and Murphy's Law are fast friends.