1st ass.cam HD

hello,

i've worked as second assistant camera dealing with film cameras and i've been asked to work as 1st assistant and the camera is going to be an HD or HDV, i don't know which one.

the production must soon send me the details about all those important things plus the lenses that we will use....

i just want to know how proceeds a 1st ass. cam on HD shootings, what are the tests to be made before, what may help me to prepare this shooting.

PS: i still have till the end of june before the production starts

Thank you

hello,

i've worked as second assistant camera dealing with film cameras and i've been asked to work as 1st assistant and the camera is going to be an HD or HDV, i don't know which one.

the production must soon send me the details about all those important things plus the lenses that we will use....

i just want to know how proceeds a 1st ass. cam on HD shootings, what are the tests to be made before, what may help me to prepare this shooting.

PS: i still have till the end of june before the production starts

Thank you

1st Assistant Camera ;)

Find out what camera, and do tons of research asap. Focus, Exposure, Color Space, Gamma Curves, White Balance, Gain...etc. Spend some time on Wikipedia; also research this forum.

Also find out the camera so you can research the manual and figure out how to work the menus and how to get to everything quickly. DP's don't want to be dealing with camera problems when they have so much other things on their minds. So knowing the camera inside and out is extremely important, definitely during moments that everyone is in a rush because you don't want to whole crew waiting on you while you're trying to thumble through menus.

As for pulling focus, well I'm assuming the camera you'll be using either has a built in lens (which focus will be easy peasy) or a you'll be using a 35mm adapter. If using a 35mm adapter if you have time check all the lenses for focus (although, if using 35mm stills that goes out of the window for testing the focus to feet/meters) and you can shoot some footage on a color chart to see if there is any variances in color rendition from lens to lens.

Hope this helps.

• Premium Member

Hi Paul,

Check these pages out:

http://www.digitalcinemasociety.org/TechTi...101+Lesson+Plan

http://www.digitalcinemasociety.org/TechTi...amera+Checklist

They are a little over the top for a low-budget shoot with a prosumer fixed lens HD camera, but very thorough and helpful.