Can these lights work or do I need to be fancier?

Guest bosljeff

Guest bosljeff

Allright, I have a theatre background with experience in lighting there and from what I understand the very basic concept is still the same: key, fill, back. Now, I have these 3 lights that are old with your basic stand, barndoors, bowl-shaped housings with 600w Tunsten Halogen bulb 3200 col temp. I figure the same bulb in a new fancy instrument is no different than the same bulb in these old ones. So, would it just be better to buy some accessories for these current lights such as umbrellas, booms, and so on?

Basically, how can we get the most diverse bang for our buck. We were looking at dropping around $300 for a light kit from smith victor, but if we can save that and get the same effect with other purchases, great.

Should we get a 'kit' similar to this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Or should we use the instruments we have and piece together a kit by purchasing umbrellas and booms and so on.

Ideas, thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

• Premium Member

There's really no reason those lights won't work for all purpose stuff. You might want to get more in the future so you can light larger areas and more complex setups, but those will work. If I were you, I'd put your money into some frames and material that you can make flags (opaque black, for cutting light) with and some different diffusion and bounce materials. Often, cutting out light is more important to the final look than just providing it.

Guest bosljeff
There's really no reason those lights won't work for all purpose stuff. You might want to get more in the future so you can light larger areas and more complex setups, but those will work. If I were you, I'd put your money into some frames and material that you can make flags (opaque black, for cutting light) with and some different diffusion and bounce materials. Often, cutting out light is more important to the final look than just providing it.

Okay, so do you think I should get different umbrellas? Some for diffusion (the kind you can shoot through) and some for reflection (silver lined)? Or am I way off...?

Thanks for helping educate a newbie.

• Premium Member
Okay, so do you think I should get different umbrellas?  Some for diffusion (the kind you can shoot through) and some for reflection (silver lined)?  Or am I way off...?

Thanks for helping educate a newbie.

I would get some sheet diffusion like opal or 216. I think you'll find that using those umbrellas for diffusion will lower the light level too much for a lot of shooting.

Guest bosljeff
I would get some sheet diffusion like opal or 216. I think you'll find that using those umbrellas for diffusion will lower the light level too much for a lot of shooting.

(sorry new)

You mean like clipping gels onto the instrument, or am I way off? If i'm on the right track, what brand is 216 from? Rosco...?

THanks for the help.