Easy Rig

Hey,

I'm thinking about purchasing an Easy Rig for handheld work. I do a lot of music videos where 3-5 minute handheld shots are required.

I mainly shoot with the RED w/ Super Speeds and Cooke S4s. I'd guess the average weight is 30 lbs?

I'd also want to be able to operate with a 235 or 435, which are a little more ergonomic but still kind of heavy, for me anyway.

Does anyone have experience with the 2.5 versus the Cinema 3?

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Matt,

I did a music video with the RED on a 2.5 easy rig. We had lomo primes with a ff3 and a 6x6 mattebox, plus hard drive and a battery on the camera. The 2.5 kinda worked? It' didn't take all of the weight off and it felt a little awkward but was nice as a leash, knowing you couldn't drop the camera, we were also able to switch hand held positions pretty easily. I don't think I would use it again unless it was the easy rig "3" that seems like it could carry the weight. But You could also ditch the mattebox, hard drive and find a way around the battery to lighten the load. Then again you could also just get the 3.

Best

Larkin

I own an Easy Rig 3 and it is great. Easily handles the heaviest cameras. I can shoot hand held with a 50 pound camera for long takes with out issues. It is also very steady with longer lenses which I find extremely useful. It is great for use under slung where I cradle the camera in my arms.

It is not for everyone however. Many people think it is a poor man’s Steadicam. It doesn’t work well like this. When you walk it tends to impart a side to side movement that takes some experience to overcome. Lighter cameras are too light and sometimes require a small weight to make them rest on your shoulder with the Cinema Rig.

Again, I use it all the time and love it.

My experience with the easyrig is with the 2.5 and the SRII. While 'babying' the camera - holding the camera in front of my body - I found it difficult to keep the horizon level because the string was pulling it sideways. It did make the camera very light and a little steadier.

You have to be careful when using the Easy Rig with an SR with an old style handle. It is slightly tapered and there is a danger of the Easy Rig sliding off the handle. I added a small loop onto my rig to keep the handle in position.

"You have to be careful when using the Easy Rig with an SR with an old style handle. It is slightly tapered and there is a danger of the Easy Rig sliding off the handle. I added a small loop onto my rig to keep the handle in position."

Yes we encountered this as well. We firmly secured the rig to the handle because of this.

"You have to be careful when using the Easy Rig with an SR with an old style handle. It is slightly tapered and there is a danger of the Easy Rig sliding off the handle. I added a small loop onto my rig to keep the handle in position."

Yes we encountered this as well. We firmly secured the rig to the handle because of this.

Interestingly enough I was watching the behind-the-scenes of City of Men (the theatrical feature of the TV series) and noticed how they were using it with one of the old Arri BL models - interesting to see if it changes the dynamics of hand-held.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks for the replies, they were very helpful. The Cine3 seems like the best future-proof purchase.

If I can ask, where did you purchase your Cine3 and how much was it? I'm having a little difficulty in my search.

Thanks again,

Matt