sun rays

Hi all,

i am an amateur cinematographer from India. There is a project i am shooting and would like some help

i am shooting a scene which involves a corridore.

What i want to do is have sun light coming in from the sides. However i want the sun rays. As in i want the sun light flodding in through these small windows however i would like the rays to be distinguished.

One of the typical method is to light up with smoke. However that is not possible as i cant have any smoke in that scene.

I studied another method by the Great Sacha Virne, he used a white stripe reflected in the mirror using a white stripe which created a ray. however that had some magical feelign to it which i want to avoid. Also i need two rays, so that's not possible.

I will probably be lighting up the scene to 5.6. So i am wondering is it possible to get the rays without any smoke. What should the exposure be . Also the lights we get are not much. So most i can do is use a senior 4k, or an HMI 10k. Please let me know what would be the best way to get this effect.

Thank you

karm

...i am wondering is it possible to get the rays without any smoke.

Yes and no. Light needs something physical in the air to be seen, and if that's smoke, baby powder or dust, the rays will be visible (all things considered). Without some kind of atmosphere in the air, the rays will not be visible.

Other considerations will be how much ambient light is in the room, what the in-frame background behind the rays will be (the darker the background, the more visible they will be), and how in focus and close the camera will be to the rays (and whatever you use as atmosphere).

-j