shooting various film stocks with Elmo 1012 xl-s

Zachary Hansen

Been on here for a couple of months but this is my first post!

I recently acquired an Elmo 1012 xl-s and am planning on trying out several film stocks this weekend. I'm a little confused with how much I should adjust the aperture to compensate for the camera only reading 40/160 artificial and 25/100 daylight. Here are the stocks I'm planning on shooting:

Ectachrome 64T - Sounds like you open the aperture 2/3rds stop?

Velvia 50D (from Spectra) - no idea

TRi X - no idea

Plus X - expose normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Zachary Hansen

Been on here for a couple of months but this is my first post!

I recently acquired an Elmo 1012 xl-s and am planning on trying out several film stocks this weekend. I'm a little confused with how much I should adjust the aperture to compensate for the camera only reading 40/160 artificial and 25/100 daylight. Here are the stocks I'm planning on shooting:

Ectachrome 64T - Sounds like you open the aperture 2/3rds stop?

Velvia 50D (from Spectra) - no idea

TRi X - no idea

Plus X - expose normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the offer but if i'm going to shoot sound I'd probably just shoot wild sound.

I talked to someone at Spectra and they claimed the 50d should expose normally. I guess I'll try exposing all the film stocks except 64T on auto and see how they turn out.

Edited by Zachary Hansen

Recently I bought an Elmo 1012 and made some tests.

I inserted a cart of Kodachrome 40 and changed to artifical light ( 40 ASA ). When I inserted a cart of Velvia ( from Wittner ) or a cart of E-100 ( from Wittner ) there was always the same f-stop ( 40 ASA ) . So I think, the Velvia is the best for the Elmo 1012, with the E-100 you have to compensate.

Kind regards

Henry

Hi!

For 64T you need to close down 2/3 stop as the camera thinks it's 40asa and needs 2/3 stop more light

Plus-X can be shot without adjustment

Tri-X will be read as 160asa and overexposed by 2/3 stop so compensate for this.

200T will be read as 160asa - so again overexposed by 2/3 stop - but no adjustment necessary - overexposure by up to 1 stop recommended by kodak!

Velvia 50D will be fine without adjustment.

100D I think ill be read as either 40 or 160 - load a cart and compare to 64t and tri-x etc.

You'll only need to either open up by 2/3 of a stop or close down by 2/3 of a stop.

Hope this helps.

If anyone can add to this please do!

Jamie

I'll check in the next couple of days but I think these figures are off. If the Elmo can read Plus-X exactly then it will rate both 200T and Tri-X at ASA 100 as well, because it's reading the cartridge's ASA 160T/100D speed and then detecting the lack of a filter notch to kick the meter down to ASA 100.

That's how Kodak sets up both Plus-X and 200T. They notch Tri-X at ASA 250T/160D, but the limited speeds of the Elmo will detect it atthe ASA 160/100 max and end up doing the same thing.

Hi!

For 64T you need to close down 2/3 stop as the camera thinks it's 40asa and needs 2/3 stop more light

Plus-X can be shot without adjustment

Tri-X will be read as 160asa and overexposed by 2/3 stop so compensate for this.

200T will be read as 160asa - so again overexposed by 2/3 stop - but no adjustment necessary - overexposure by up to 1 stop recommended by kodak!

Velvia 50D will be fine without adjustment.

100D I think ill be read as either 40 or 160 - load a cart and compare to 64t and tri-x etc.

You'll only need to either open up by 2/3 of a stop or close down by 2/3 of a stop.

Hope this helps.

If anyone can add to this please do!

Jamie

I'll check in the next couple of days but I think these figures are off.

Hi Jim,

Please do check - I know you've extensively researched this - You may by right about the TRi-X - however exposing 200T as 100ASA will be the 1 stop overexposure as recommended by Kodak and still no compensation necessary.

Both 64T and 100D are read as K40.

I await your checks Jim!

Jamie

I'll check but for now, yes, 200T will be fine no matter how the Elmo reads it. It will be seen as either ASA 160 or ASA 100, which is 1/3 or 1 stop overexposed, depending.

Tri-X will be fine either way if you cut a notch in the cartridge for the filter pin. This will disable the SMPTE super 8 protocol and cause any camera to read Tri-X at ASA 160, if you are in doubt about how the camera responds to all the pins and notches.

The only exception will be those that read up to ASA 250 and beyond, in which case Tri-X will be metered at this speed if notched. But cameras that go this high will in all cases follow the SMPTE protocol, so all film cartridges can be left alone and not modified.

Cutting a filter notch won't work for the new Plus-X, because then it will be read at ASA 160, which is underexposed by 2/3 stop. This will be true for any camera, too, that reads this high. So never cut a filter notch in a Plus-X cartridge nowadays if you have a camera that was made after about 1969 or so. If it can read up to ASA 160, you'll get an underexposure error.

Edited by Jim Carlile