Konvas spring motor

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member

You'd probably have to make one. Something similar to an Eyemo or Edison cylinder phonograph spring should do it. Start with a piece of 4" schedule 80 black pipe an inch long, weld a plate on one side, and fill it with 1" blue tempered clock spring, maybe 60 - 80 ft, IIRC. Gotta learn how to draw the temper on the ends and make the attachments. Load it on a lathe, big springs like that pack a whole lot of energy in the unwound position, let alone when you crank them up. Then all you need are gears and a governor.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Great -- maybe design it as a multi-purpose spring motor that you could interface to the Konvas or to any of the Arri model II series.... Hmmm -- what else might you want to drive with it?

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Hi John,

Sometimes I can't help myself. I'm always seeing the funny side of things.

Scroll down

^

^

^

^

^

Spring

Has

Sprung !!!!

Sorry John, I owe you an Irish beer. You could always call me Hickory Dickery O'Dockery..........

I have one thanks to a member of this board to whom I will be eternally grateful, though I've never used it and I'm not sure if my camera, a KSR-1, was designed to work with it but regardless, I'll have a modification done to MAKE it work at some point if I have to. It is in MINT condition, VERY cool and rare as hen's teeth.