Steadicam question

Jim Hyslop

Hi,

I saw this posted on a technical theatre mail list the other day: Segway dismount

Someone asked who the guy running beside the camera operator was; obviously (to us) he's the 1st AC. However, the follow-up question was - why didn't he just use the remote and stay out of sight? Why did he need to be right beside the camera?

BTW if you want to see the actual footage, you don't have to sit through the first 2:35 of the song - just click on the timeline at 2:40.

• Premium Member
Hi,

I saw this posted on a technical theatre mail list the other day: Segway dismount

Someone asked who the guy running beside the camera operator was; obviously (to us) he's the 1st AC. However, the follow-up question was - why didn't he just use the remote and stay out of sight? Why did he need to be right beside the camera?

BTW if you want to see the actual footage, you don't have to sit through the first 2:35 of the song - just click on the timeline at 2:40.

To judge focus you usually have to be near the camera. The easiest and most common place for a 1st to do that with steadicam is off to the left, perpendicular to the line between camera and subject.

To judge focus you usually have to be near the camera. The easiest and most common place for a 1st to do that with steadicam is off to the left, perpendicular to the line between camera and subject.

Right, of course - you don't focus from the monitor.

--

Jim

However, the lens was extremely wide for the Hands-free portion of that shot, it would have been difficult for the focus puller to screw that one up. Can't think of a reason why he needed to run alongside other than not having time to get to the stage ahead of the camera.

• Premium Member

I really don't see how running at full speed would help him pull focus. If anything I think it would be detrimental. Maybe there was a good reason for him to do that, but I haven't figured it out yet.

If he hadn't been holding some device and pointing it at the camera, I might have suggested he was there to spot the operator in case he was about to run into something.

• Premium Member
I really don't see how running at full speed would help him pull focus. If anything I think it would be detrimental. Maybe there was a good reason for him to do that, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Good point. I think if it had been me doing it, I think I would have come in from the right side of his shot as he approached and hopped up on stage for the tighter part.

My guess is that he might not have been pulling focus the whole time. He may have just wanted to keep up to be close to the camera since that is where the AC should be most of the time. He may have wanted to make sure the camera was still running, that the gears hadn't slipped or something. Somebody should be there in case the operator takes a tumble. And who wants to be outrun by a guy carrying 75 pounds of gear? My gut tells me the guy either wanted to look cool or to look like he was doing something important so production would think they were getting their monies worth.

• Premium Member
Somebody should be there in case the operator takes a tumble.

Not that he could have done anything to keep him from falling...

I was pulling focus for steadicam not long ago and I had to try to catch a 6'4" or 5" guy off balance with a steadicam and I'm about 5'7". I'm pretty stout but not that strong. He just landed on top of me. :lol:

Not that he could have done anything to keep him from falling...

I was pulling focus for steadicam not long ago and I had to try to catch a 6'4" or 5" guy off balance with a steadicam and I'm about 5'7". I'm pretty stout but not that strong. He just landed on top of me. :lol:

I was thinking more along the lines of being there first to grab his watch, wallet, watch or anything else of value before he comes to.

Maybe.

Hey, you're either throw someone a rope to save them or so they can hang themselves. I said "watch" twice in a previous post when I meant to say, "keys to his Porsche." There are a lot of great Steadicam operators that I really like. Some, not so much.

• Premium Member
Hey, you're either throw someone a rope to save them or so they can hang themselves. I said "watch" twice in a previous post when I meant to say, "keys to his Porsche." There are a lot of great Steadicam operators that I really like. Some, not so much.

Ah, that's every position on a set, though. I've been lucky enough to work with some great operators.

• Premium Member
My gut tells me the guy either wanted to look cool or to look like he was doing something important so production would think they were getting their monies worth.

Well, I wasn't going to say it, but I think that's about the gist of it.