Terms & using model lights of photo strobes w/ vid

ninfa

Hello to all in the forum. I'm new to the forum. I am a still photographer by trade and looking to get more involved with video. I'm not particularly familiar with the jargon just yet and was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to what the term "red/blue heads" mean. Hopefully I can catch up quickly.

Also was wondering if I could possibly use the modeling lights of my photo strobe units for lighting video. It would probably eat up the life of the modeling light, but I've got an interview to shoot this week and am needing a quick and cheap fix. The modeling lights can be kept on continuosly and I believe are tungsten.

Thanks, Ninfa

http://www.tut.fi/units/arc/amltech/propic/bluehead.htm

I wouldn't recommend using those modelling lights all the time, they don't give too much light on continuous (the softboxes sap them). If it's all you got though make do, but I'd def invest in so 800w-2kw lamps with fresnels if all you are gonna do is simple stuff like this for future work.

Redheads and blondes are cheap enough to come buy and there's a wealth of still photographic places that will sell em cheap to you.

If you want cheap soft light, you could buy those cheap 500W halogen worklights and make yourself a softbox for them. They get really hot, so a softbox made for flashlight won't cut it.

One option would be to bounce the light from something white, which will give you a pleasant light really fast. But it's really hard to control, though.