Stanley Kubrick

Clay Tayler

Dominic, did you work with Kubrick?
Not really - only very indirectly. I was just starting out in the lab when Clockwork Orange was going through. Colleagues who stayed at the same lab rose to positions where they dealt with the filmmakers, and enjoyed B) another quarter century of working with him.

Very interesting posts, Dominic! :) Great to finally hear stories from the lab.

I'll second Wendell on the DPs and technical folks thing- Lucien Ballard and Kubrick clashed big time but Ossie Morris really had most control over his photography of Lolita, Unsworth OWNS 2001, and you only have to look at films like Greystoke to see John Alcott's influence over Kubricks big 70s pictures. I'd also argue that the action coverage of Full Metal Jacket is disitinctly the work of Doug Milsome if you look at similar dramatic moments handled in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, and Larry Smith produced some of the most colourful Kubrick work since 2001.

As for the designers: Ken Adam had pretty much carte blanche on Barry Lyndon, Anton Furst was even more of a stickler for detail in art direction than Kubrick himself (Furst became a manic depressive and eventually commite suicide in 1991) and Roy Walker of all Kubrick's designers has a BIG BIG fondness for researching old American architecture, and pictures of his such as Little Shop of Horrors and Good Morning Vietnam really demostrate how thorough he could be.

And we've all heard about Stuart Freeborn's ape innovations from 2001.

Some of these guys in the design circle of the films (and then you've got people like Douglas Trumbull too) were just as obsessive as Kubrick was, always striving for perfection.

I wasn't saying that NOBODY recognizes Kubrick's DP's, writers, etc.

Obviously those in the industry are usually more sophisticated in their knowledge, and recognize that the director isn't doing absolutely everything on a film.

I'm referring to damn near everyone else acting that way, particularly relating to story content, as if everything about a film was the director's idea.

MP

I believe that the films are so distant and not personal because he is talking about the human being in general, the humanity, it's jorney etc.

It's beyond personal, it's beyond emotional, it's from a god-like perspective.

If you made audience love the characters, I think you would miss the point

of a story like 2001. Making audience feel emotions for the main character would blind them from the real idea of the film.

What would you learn about evolution in a biology class, if you sat there carring and feeling emotions for the animals the professor talks about?

I just finished watching Eyes Wide Shut... Whoa, is all I can say, that film moved me, and is for now, my favorite >Kubrick< film... finally a film about people, you know, something with a (at least to me) heart... to say that it really made me feel, and caused emotion in me... I also found the interviews with Tom, Nic and Steven very very informative and Nic's and Tom's almost brought me to tears when they spoke about Kubrick.

I've now seen

Eye's Wide Shut

The Shining

Clockwork Orange

2001: A Space Odyssey

I'm watching The Killing tomorrow and will slowly work my way through them all...

Thanks for all the posts, some very valueable info in here!