Magliner modifications

I just bought a magliner jr cart. Right now it is stock, so no shelves or nose extensions etc. I'm planning on using it mostly for corporate video shoots right now, so I don't need a mitchell plate at this point. I am looking for any suggestions anyone has about modifications they have done to theirs that are beneficial.

My main issue that I have with equipment is carrying C-stands. I usually have about 4-6 c-stands on a shoot, so I don't need a whole c-stand cart, and have used magliners in the past with shelves, but the c-stands never fit very well. I've considered the c-stand holder that is sold at filmtools, but that is pretty expensive for only holding 4. Has anyone else come up with a solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member
I am looking for any suggestions anyone has about modifications they have done to theirs that are beneficial.

Get the shelves for sure. The tripod holder with baby plate is very useful too. I often mount a monitor with a vesa mount onto the pin. For corporates you'll probably be using the cart as a download station, so it's nice to have a place to put a monitor off to the side and still have room for the laptop, hard drives, and power supplies. The tripod holder thingees make nice coat hangers too!

My main issue that I have with equipment is carrying C-stands.

I haven't tried the 4 c-stand holder yet, but the 2 stand holders that clip to the side of the top shelf work fine. You're right though, they're expensive for what they are. I have a senior cart and I usually just throw the stands on the top shelf with the legs hanging down and throw sand bags on top. I can put on about 4 this way, two on each side of the handles. Then add the 2 stand holder, and you could handle 6. Alternately, I work with a gaffer who puts a bunch of turtle stands all broken down into a heavy padded canvas duffel bag and then straps it vertically to the cart between the handles. I think you'll have to use a mix of approaches.

Now you're biggest problem is keeping people from putting their coffee cups on your cart (right next to your laptop).

Edited by Satsuki Murashige

Birns & Sawyer use to sell hooks to hold tripods. They hung from the tongue or whatever it's called and you put the tripod upside down with the hook going through the hole and then bungee the tripods to the fold up thingy. Get a shelf. You can cut a piece of sheet metal fo the bottom shelf. Drill holes through shelf and frame and connect with rivets. Then get a clip, I forget what it's called but it clamps to speed rail and has a pin that you can connect a monitor to. The clamp goes on the tube between the steering handles. Then get bicycle tassels for the end of the handles and a bicycle bell so you can move people out of the way. You can rig up hooks on the side of the top shelf to hold c-stands.

• Premium Member
Birns & Sawyer use to sell hooks to hold tripods. They hung from the tongue or whatever it's called and you put the tripod upside down with the hook going through the hole and then bungee the tripods to the fold up thingy. Get a shelf. You can cut a piece of sheet metal fo the bottom shelf. Drill holes through shelf and frame and connect with rivets. Then get a clip, I forget what it's called but it clamps to speed rail and has a pin that you can connect a monitor to. The clamp goes on the tube between the steering handles. Then get bicycle tassels for the end of the handles and a bicycle bell so you can move people out of the way. You can rig up hooks on the side of the top shelf to hold c-stands.

I never thought of a bicycle bell before. I like the idea, though.

• 2 months later...