Underwater Camera Assistant

LimHKim

Greetings.....

Recently, I was on a shoot that requires underwater camera assistant. Being a clapper/loader in the job, I volunteered for the sake of experiencing and of course I am a diver as well. We were shooting in a man-made pool size of 20ft X 20ft X 6ft height. There was only 1 talent swimming and the camera was locked off at the bottom of the pool.

#1 Basically, what is the job descriptions of u/w camera assistant ? Is focusing part of the job ?

#2 As objects are magnified 25% in underwater, how to actually do the focusing ?

Hoping someone out there can provide me some infomations.

Thanks

hi

yes, the main part of a camera assistant is to do the focus.

u/w is a bit tricky because the water act as a lens.

to be 100% sure of your focus you'll have to do prior specific camera test.

1) leak test of the housing it looks stupid but i had a leak once on the pendant destryoing all the electronic.(in egypt red sea !!!!)

2) re-write the marks with eye focus on an illuminated chart (full aperture) in a water pipe, for every lens!!!!

3)shoot in a close distance the chart, with a tape mesurment and compare the eye focus and the negative

then you'll know where your focus is.

it may change a bit with the salt density but you shoot in a pool

if you shoot in video, focus with the video feed back and stay dry

have fun

Thanks.....

By conducting a leak test doesn't mean that there will be 100% leak proof during the shoot. There were once I heard the water leaks into the housing was due to mis-handling of the O-ring. O-ring has to really really taken care of and a slight twisted will jepordise the entire shoot. Silicon gel should always come as part of the equipment list.

I was told by my senior that 1'0" on land = 0'9" underwater, I guess it's 25% of magnifying. The confusion starts here. What you see underwater and what the camera sees aren't both the same, 25% of magnifying. ? How could it possibly be when the eyes see of the distance of 10 feet and the focus on the camera is put at 9 feet distance ?

:blink:

• Premium Member

Sorry since I'm packing for moving house I can't check but I remember from school that water has a refraction indice of 1.33 but I guess it depends on the nature of the water, its components etc... I would try to figure out the factor with a long focal length and trust my eye since the ground glass was checked before...