Newbie Lighting Help

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if someone could help me out...

Basically, I'm a first time DP working on 30 minute short film to be shot on Panasonic DVX100B. My lighting kid contains 2 Arri 650s, 2 Arri 1ks, 1 Lowell 750 Total, and 1 Lowell 500.

There may also be money in the budget to rent a couple of 2Ks, or even a 5K, but I'm not sure if that can happen yet.

One of the scenes in the film is shot in a restaurant, and consists of six people sitting around a table having a tense conversation. The room's existing light varies depending on the time of day, (I've attached a couple of photos to show).

My idea was to go for a more natural light look, since I don't have a lot of lights (or time) at my disposal and it would be in keeping my plan for the overall look of the film.

I've also attached a prelim lighting diagram (with possible camera angles marked) -

I just wanted some opinions as to if I'm on the right track with my thinking.

Please forgive the small size of the images. I had to res down to fit.

Chris

post-41203-1245519357.gif

post-41203-1245519377.gif

It looks like you have a huge bounce hanging over the entire space; utilize that to bring up the ambient light while still maintaining the "natural" look.

And I'd second the suggestion of CTOing the windows; with all that tungsten in your kit, and what's probably available as practicals in the space, you'd be beating yourself up to try and get most of it daylight balanced.

-j

Thanks for your help guys! CTO-ing the windows does make more sense.

A little late but...if those windows are pretty big, it look like they are; could you spin the table 90 degrees so that the actors would never be backlit by it, instead it would be more side-y? It may give everyone a chance to get hit by the strong light coming through the window. What time of day are you shooting?

A little late but...if those windows are pretty big, it look like they are; could you spin the table 90 degrees so that the actors would never be backlit by it, instead it would be more side-y? It may give everyone a chance to get hit by the strong light coming through the window. What time of day are you shooting?

Hmmm... That's a thought too... Not sure, because this scene will probably take at least one full day to shoot, and I'm afraid that the light will change in there pretty dramatically between morning and afternoon. I might have to try to get back there and get some still shots at different times of the day to see how different it will look. In the script, the scene is supposed to take place in the morning - probably around 9am.

Hmmm... That's a thought too... Not sure, because this scene will probably take at least one full day to shoot, and I'm afraid that the light will change in there pretty dramatically between morning and afternoon. I might have to try to get back there and get some still shots at different times of the day to see how different it will look. In the script, the scene is supposed to take place in the morning - probably around 9am.

If it were me I would let the windows blow out unless you need to see outside, spin the table 90 degrees and shoot any shots that you will see the window first, then go in for the coverage being careful to try and match color temps of daylight coming in and your lights. Or better yet, do the CTO thing on the window and not worry much about the lights being as tungsten.

Of course with the CTO you may not be able to blow the windows out...many options, which one will serve the scene and the time constraints best?

Edited by David Desio