The End of NTSC

Keith Walters

The only ting that would remotely interest me is that the HD signals, according to David Mullen and others on here, look better over the airwaves than with the typical compression algorhythms used with cable and dish TV.

The difference is night and day. The satellite and cable channels are riddled with compression artifacts. I did a free trial of the local HD cable service and the HD channels were down right unwatchable. They verge on "web-quality" style artifacts. It's insane to pay X amount of dollars a month for that.

Here in Toronto we get about 20 digital HD channels over the air and the quality is decent. Not Blu-ray quality, but most of the time there are no seriously apparent artifacts. And 20 channels for free is a price I like. I'm lucky if I watch 1 or 2 of those channels a week. I watch much, much more movies on Blu-ray than I ever watch TV.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

The satellite and cable channels are riddled with compression artifacts.

That's true in many cases. I work for the studio side of CBS, and the guys over on the network side now have a requirement in the retrans agreements that the cable and satellite providers must pass through the full 19.4 MBits/sec that goes on the air.

-- J.S.

That's true in many cases. I work for the studio side of CBS, and the guys over on the network side now have a requirement in the retrans agreements that the cable and satellite providers must pass through the full 19.4 MBits/sec that goes on the air.

Good to hear. Maybe other channels will do this and make the cable companies smarten up. Broadcast standards are slipping way too much in so many areas, it's good to see there is a push for having professional standards again.

• Premium Member

The problem with an over the air CBS or NBC interlace 1080i sports broadcast is the picture looks like garbage with massive compression artifacts. However an ABC, Fox and ESPN which uses the progressive scan 720p format the picture rocks.

That has nothing whatever to do with whether its progressive or interlaced.