Props and brand names

Philz

Hello, I tried this on the other forum section but I wasn't getting any responses. I have a short film that I am planning to do. There is an important scene where displaying superhero images on a bedspread and pajamas is important. Would displaying characters such as Superman, Batman, etc. be fine or does it need permission? Is it fine without displaying the name? Please let me know, thanks.

They are copyrighted/trademarked images and names. I would take the safe route and get permission, or use just enough of the characters that you know who they are but can't see the whole image. When I produce, I am very picky about brands and logos showing up. I try to use local companies fro product placement if I need something. Otherwise I stripe or hide everything, or partially obscure it. If your short film will be seen in an kind of large scale, and/or you hope to win/earn money from it, I would strongly suggest getting written permission. I have not found it very hard at all a lot of times to get permission for a short film for different things. I've even called Target cold and gotten positive responses, along with beer and liquor companies. Good luck!