Automatic roll number increase when you reload the RED

Hey all,

On a previous red job i did the DIT set it up so that every time we changed drive the roll number also automatically went up by one.

Can anyone tell me how to set this as it definitely saves time on the reloads.

Many thanks,

Theo

• Premium Member

The fact is, it doesn't always work. My AC's have had problems with this on a couple of shows. The DIT had no solution other than to change it manually. Just keep your eye out and make sure it changes when you want it to.

• Premium Member
I usually change it manually just to be absolutely sure that it increments...

I do this too. For some reason, I've found the various cameras I use always want to reset to a random roll number after formatting. And if you're formatting in camera anyway, it only takes an extra three seconds to do it. Instead of "System>Media>Format", just go to "System>Media>Change>Mag#>Format". There are very rare instances where you just won't have the time to do it, but that's rather unusual.

• Premium Member
It seems to be a build error...

Any camera running Build 17 or above should have no problems with this, haven't run into it myself for a while now?

Really? Cuz I just had to deal with this on Build 17 last week... Haven't played around with Build 18, 20 yet.

• Premium Member
We had constant problems with it on Build 17.

I would just do it manually right now to save yourself for the moments of "did it advance or....ah hell I don't remember what roll we should be on now..."

I notice if you manually reset, and don't get it right (joystick not positioned properly) it will throw off the roll #.

Start of day, System->Media->Reset-.Reel#-> (start with "1")

Next card or drive, System->Media->Format->(you should automatically be set to 2)

Always check after format on LCD/Rear Screen/EVF, to see if your roll is correct.

Can anyone tell me how to set this as it definitely saves time on the reloads.

In the grand scheme of things, though, how much time are we talking about, 30 seconds worth of hassle?

I've never worked with RED, but can't you manually go in and change the number after the fact? Shoot a chart at the end with the roll number on it? Use sticky tape for a DIT who is transferring/backing up data to make sure they get it right?

• Premium Member
In the grand scheme of things, though, how much time are we talking about, 30 seconds worth of hassle?

I've never worked with RED, but can't you manually go in and change the number after the fact? Shoot a chart at the end with the roll number on it? Use sticky tape for a DIT who is transferring/backing up data to make sure they get it right?

Yeah, you can easily do it manually. I haven't worked with a red for a couple months but when I last did, the automatic roll increase would do strange things sometimes. I just started doing it manually all the time.

• Premium Member

More like an extra 5 seconds. 10 seconds max if you haven't worked with the camera in a while and forget where it is in the menu.

I've never worked with RED, but can't you manually go in and change the number after the fact?

You can't change roll #s in camera if you've already shot on the media. You would have to reformat it to do so. You may be able to do it to the media after its been dumped by renaming files, but I've never done it and feel very wary about doing so...

Cheers for the tips everyone.

This week i have tried both suggestions but to no avail (our camera is also on build 17) but what does annoy me about it is that the roll number it does reset to seems to be completely random each time so that sometimes it comes up 1 away from the last number and other times it will be 56 or something.

I would say that compared to the thing crashing and re-intializing mid take it is a minor glitch....