Alwin Kuchler/Gasman and Ratcatcher

Gabrielle Demeestere

Hi,

I'm interested in finding out what film stock was used for Lynne Ramsay's short "Gasman" and her feature "Ratcatcher".

I'm directing a 10 minute short in super 16 and want to find out how to get a desaturated look (pastel colors) closer to European films...why does French film (Bruno Dumont's films, Dardenne brothers etc.) for example look so different (desaturated) than American indie film?

How important is the choice of film stock? or is most of it done in the transfer?

thanks!

I seem to recall reading in American Cinematographer that "Ratcatcher" was shot on an older Fuji 500T stock, 8571, which would've been replaced by 8572 (and soon we'll have 8573). I think they may also have used Fuji 125T for day exteriors, along with a variety of chocolate or tobacco filters. I don't recall the Criterion DVD having a ton of technical information, but it may be worth checking through it, maybe you can dig through AC issues from around the time of its release, look for a smaller article though, not a big feature.

There are a number of ways to desaturate your images, each will give the image a different feel. The big question is are you finishing to film or video? Figure that out and plan around that decision.