Organic Film Effect

Shane Hubbard

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the Super 8mm format. I've only shot color neg and b&w reversal, telecined on a Rank at Spectra.

I've noticed that in many Super 8mm films, there is an effect where the film briefly turns reddish, yet not at full opacity. You can still see the footage as the reddish look dreamily passes over the screen and then vanishes just as quickly as it appeared. Almost like it was overexposed.

An example of what I'm talking about appears at the start of the movie "The Game" which has about 2 minutes of Super 8 footage, seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGPix7kXwsY...feature=related

I find this effect desirable as it lends to the imperfection look of the format. What causes this to occur? Also in the footage above there is some flicker, so I'm wondering if this was telecined using the film-chain technique? Perhaps this look is a result of the film-chain method??

Edited by Shane Hubbard

What causes this to occur?

Hello Shane,

This is typical for the old regular-8 format. You had to open the camera to turn the film to expose the other half. It is caused by light coming on the film. Very often this effect is only visible on one side of the film, at the end of the reel.

Also in the footage above there is some flicker, so I'm wondering if this was telecined using the film-chain technique? Perhaps this look is a result of the film-chain method??

What's the film-chain method? There should be no flicker.. I bet they have added it to have a more vintage look.

PS: on a second look... It might be a mix of different films too. The red/brown scenes looks like faded out colors to me.

Fred.

Edited by Freddy Van de Putte