EKTACHROME 7251

Hello,

I recently got a few 400ft rolls of Ektachrome 7251. This stock is discontinued and old. I don't know how old it is, but I'd still like to experiment with it. What is the general idea for exposing older film stocks? More specifically, how would you expose older color reversal? Overexpose or underexpose?

On the Kodak label, meter setting listings are: ASA 400 in daylight, ASA100 in Tungsten (with 80 filter)

The process is VNF-1 or RVNP...I found a lab that can process it.

Any thoughts on this attempt will be greatly appreciated...

THANKS!

-Chris

Hi Chris,

look, this is quite an old stock now. And as a fast reversal film, I honestly think the result will be very poor. If you get an image, you can expect there to be a large amount of fogging associated. This will make the film look over exposed. If you are intending to project the film, then you MIGHT consider under exposing slightly. If you are going to use it, only shoot 100' to see if you can use the fogged images you will get. I have quite a lot of 7250 and i consider this stock so old as to be only useable as black spacing.

sorry to dissapoint,

richard

I recently bought two 400' reels of 7251 off Ebay. Tested 100' of film and after getting it returned from the lab (Pac Lab) it had a very strong purple hue to it and the images were severely underexposed, which might have had something to do with me using ND filters incorrectly. Since then I shot another test, and sent it to PAC Lab again, only this time I received a note from them telling me their machine damaged the film, so in turn they sent me a new roll of Ektachrome 100D with processing included.

I've also recently shot some 7250, which turned out fairly decent.

http://vimeo.com/groups/expiredfilms/videos/4288567

Thanks for the advice on dealing with a "foggy" stock!

Hey Art,

you have some surprisingly good results there from your expired reversal films. I have seen good results from 7240, but not from 50 and 51 these days.

rt

7250 holds up fairly well if well kept prior to exposure. 7251 behave may be trickier. I would shoot something that could use some "experimental" factor and underexpose 2/3 of a stop (for reversal).

Hey Art,

you have some surprisingly good results there from your expired reversal films. I have seen good results from 7240, but not from 50 and 51 these days.

rt

Hi Richard. Just shot some 40 and should have it back this week. The 51 I have has been a challenge, but I should soon be getting some results of that back as well.

Thanks!

Hey Art,

rt

Hi Richard:

You were right about 7240 vs 7251. Granted, I don't know the expiration dates of either, but I got much better results with the 40.

http://vimeo.com/groups/expiredfilms/videos/5708251

• 1 month later...

I said i'd respond, and I'm sorry it's so late.

Development of this stock worked. I am quite pleased. Darks look pretty bad and very grainy, but lit aspects of the frame are quite nice and have a dated quality I was looking for. A slight magenta hue as well.

-Chris

I said i'd respond, and I'm sorry it's so late.

Development of this stock worked. I am quite pleased. Darks look pretty bad and very grainy, but lit aspects of the frame are quite nice and have a dated quality I was looking for. A slight magenta hue as well.

-Chris

Hi Chris:

Glad it turned out ok. Any chance of posting some stills?