underwater lighting with green/blue screen

Hi, I am shooting a commercial with underwater sequences of a model/actress in a diving pool about 12' deep, and I have done some rough planning but am open for any ideas/suggestions.the model will be performing against a blue/green screen placed underwater as well. the pool is about 25'x15'x12'(LxWxD)

my questions are,

1. which color(blue or green screen) would be my best pick ? the inside of the tank is painted in light blue and the model will be dressed in white/light color.

2. there is no underwater lighting equipment available from where I am shooting the commercial. so all the lighting is coming from outside the pool which makes it a bit more problems for me. I am planning to put a 20'x20' blue/green screen in the long end and have the model maybe about 12'-15' in front of camera. I am hoping to use wider lens and have the model as close to the camera as possible to get less kick off the blue/green screen. i am planning to light the blue/green screen with a 4k Arri HMI X light and have a 6k HMI par as a back light for the model. then putting 1 or 2, 6'x6' ultra bounce in the water off camera and using another 4k HMI pars to bounce key light for here face. this is my best guess as all the lights has to come from outside the pool but wasn't sure if that will work. any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

post-14395-1248593693.png

well sir that sounds like you have a tricky adventure in store. my only suggestion is, because the pool is light blue if you use the blue screen, in chroma key you select the color you want to super impose. you may get blue reflection on her white shirt from the light blue pool if this happens, when u chroma key it may not come out clean because the blue reflecting from the pool on her T-shirt could be picked up when you chroma key and parts of her T-shirt may look like the background you have put on the bluescreen. does that make sense? ha sorry if it doesn't any-who i would go with the green-screen and as for lightigh because you cant take lights underwater your setup logically seems fine but if there is a chance try and do a cam test to see if the light from outside of the pool give you enough light and make sure it look right an believable. what are you shooting on? hope this helps and hope to hear back from ya soon

Ken Keeler

To add to the previous reply, the other little thing you could have working against you is that since the light will be coming from the surface and water absorbs the warm colors, eventually leaving everything blue-ish, the problem of a blue tint could be worsend. So another vote here for green.

Bob Smith

Where is your location? We have high powered water proof LED lights available for rental. Unlike waterproof HMI's, these can be used above and below water, and are simple to operate. At 6500K and using standard par lenses they would make your shoot much simpler no mater if you shoot green or blue.

ya i agree with peter i know it sounds like renting can be expensive but if you go to the right house you cant get good stuff for cheap it would be worth the 100 bucks or so. im not sure where you are located but if your around the LA area go to Wooden Nickle they have good prices

ya i agree with peter i know it sounds like renting can be expensive but if you go to the right house you cant get good stuff for cheap it would be worth the 100 bucks or so. im not sure where you are located but if your around the LA area go to Wooden Nickle they have good prices

thanks everyone for your input. can i do think green is the best choice, but there are a lot more issues i have to deal with such as the spill from the fabric itself. unfortunately, I am shooting the commercial in taiwan which having all the necessary equipment i need shipped over is not an option for me. ( I got quotes from Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand, but the cost just doesn't fit in our budget. our budget is only 70K USD) but I really appreciated all of your help.

Edited by Scottie Mei