F/S: Canon J9ax5.2B4 IRS SX12 Lens

Guest Grant Diamond

Guest Grant Diamond

Goodmorning, My name is Grant, and I just joined this forum to make this post. I posted at dvxuser.com yesterday, but got not a single reply. I'm looking for advice on how to sell this lens, and possibly a deal too :) I don't know how much this lens is worth, or how to go about selling it. I really appreciate any help from the community. I know these forums are full of bright people who know the real deal. I'm hoping some of them can reply back with a simple number to help guide me towards the value of this lens. I see B&H has a used one, probably in slightly better condition, for 6000 right now.

I work for a company that recycles e-waste. We usually specialize in computers and audio equipment, but recently received this lens on a palette of computers from a major broadcasting company (can't give the name here). We think it was an accident.

I don't believe this qualifies me as a broker, in trying to keep in compliance with the marketplace FAQs, but I'll let an administrator remove my post if so.

The lens seems to be in fine shape overall. There is moderate surface wear to the black finish on the barrel, but other then that, I can't find anything wrong with it. Focus, zoom, and iris rings all turn very smoothly. I briefly had the chance to mount the lens to a camera at a pro-video repair center. The servo zoom and iris work perfectly. After a back-focus adjustment, the picture looked crystal clear throughout the entire zoom and focus range. I looked closely through the viewfinder for 3 - 4 minutes, testing the whole range, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary with the glass. The glass looks fine to my eye, using the "hold up and look through it" test. I have experience inspecting lenses for SLR lenses, and based on what to look for in a 35mm lens, I would say the iris looks great. I can't see any oil or induce any stickiness. The only thing I did notice with the lens was a tiny bit of "breathing", when the focal length changes slightly with focus. I am under the impression that all lenses do this, but don't have anything else to judge it against.

We have a presence on eBay, and may end up ultimately selling the lens there. If anybody is interested, please post here or PM me.

Thanks so much for any help. -Grant

I put a picture on flickr: farm3.static.flickr.com/2647/3756404688_79be2265a5_b.jpg