Arriflex 16S battery options

Annie Wengenroth

A 5Ah battery holds 12.5% more charge than a 4.5Ah battery, so in theory it will run the camera 12.5% longer, all else being equal.

If a 4.5Ah battery runs the camera non-stop for 60 minutes, then a 5Ah battery in theory might run it for 67.5 minutes. In practice that is a bit of an over simplification, but it is why I said earlier that for all practical purposes you won't notice any difference.

Hey Ian!

Thanks loads! have all the info I need.

• 1 year later...

Hook positive to the big pin on the left, looking at the back of the camera. Negative to the smaller pin on the right. Assuming the DeWalt is 7.2V, and you're using a standard Arri motor, you're all set. It'll run slightly slow.

You can probably hook up to the battery using spade clips.

The Arri plug is a pain. I'm having one custom fabricated at the moment. Right now, I hook up power to my Arri with alligator clips.

14.4 will burn out the torque motor, every time; even in a modded mag. The 16S doesn't have an XLR connection, stock. Those that do, are usually modded for 12V.

If you need an XLR battery, why not just buy an XLR battery?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/188207-REG/Bescor_HP3XLRNC_HP_3XLRNC_Starved_Electrolyte_Battery.html

Here's an example. Already together, more robust, and it will last way longer. And it costs about the same. Drill batteries tend to start fading away rather quickly.

If you have to build it from the Dewalt battery, than for XLR, pin 1 is negative and pin 4 is positive. It should be a straight wiring job.

diagram_07_ac_adapter.jpg

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

14.4 will burn out the torque motor, every time; even in a modded mag. The 16S doesn't have an XLR connection, stock. Those that do, are usually modded for 12V.

If you need an XLR battery, why not just buy an XLR battery?

http://www.bhphotovi...te_Battery.html

Here's an example. Already together, more robust, and it will last way longer. And it costs about the same. Drill batteries tend to start fading away rather quickly.

If you have to build it from the Dewalt battery, than for XLR, pin 1 is negative and pin 4 is positive. It should be a straight wiring job.

diagram_07_ac_adapter.jpg

Bescor batteries are good, but it takes 14 hours to charge a bescor 12v 7a battery belt with auto charger and battery life is about 30 minutes of continues shooting.

A 16S draws about 4 amps continuous. 6 Amps startup. So the 7Ah belt is closer to 70 minutes continuous, when new. That's 6X 400' loads!

Keep in mind that the Dewalt 14.4V batteries are only rated for 2.4 Ah, or about 24 minutes of shooting (2X 400' mag). Again, when new. And Bescor does make a 14 Ah battery belt for about $120. And charging rates are largely determined by the charger you use.

These are all assuming 6A continuous. Your mileage may vary.

If charge time is the most important consideration, then look at sealed motorcycle batteries. They're cheap. You can charge them fast, if you're careful (a car charger can charge a battery at 30+ amps, but watch them carefully). If you're willing to pay, they make really light ones.

I'm not a big fan of tool batteries. They tend to fade a lot as they get used. I don't even like them in my tools, I always buy corded. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

A 16S draws about 4 amps continuous. 6 Amps startup. So the 7Ah belt is closer to 70 minutes continuous, when new. That's 6X 400' loads!

Keep in mind that the Dewalt 14.4V batteries are only rated for 2.4 Ah, or about 24 minutes of shooting (2X 400' mag). Again, when new. And Bescor does make a 14 Ah battery belt for about $120. And charging rates are largely determined by the charger you use.

These are all assuming 6A continuous. Your mileage may vary.

If charge time is the most important consideration, then look at sealed motorcycle batteries. They're cheap. You can charge them fast, if you're careful (a car charger can charge a battery at 30+ amps, but watch them carefully). If you're willing to pay, they make really light ones.

I'm not a big fan of tool batteries. They tend to fade a lot as they get used. I don't even like them in my tools, I always buy corded. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

I spoke with technician and I think 14.4V battery is too much for the motor because fully charged 14.4V battery can output up to 17VDC.

I'm 0 at electricity, can you tell me please if DeWalt 12v 3A can run a 400' magazine? In manual for my camera it says 12v + 2,4, 12v - 1,2. So it means maximum 14.4v and 10,8v minimum voltage. Basically 12V 3A can start and run the camera with 400' magazine but not for a long time, right?

Regarding Bescor batteries, is there any way to charge their batteries

The technician is right. A fully charged battery can put out a lot more than it's stated voltage.

Bescor makes chargers.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699682-REG/Bescor_ATMPRU_ATM_PRU_Automatic_Universal_Charger.html

B&H stocks other chargers and batteries too.

The drill battery should run the camera. Probably much better when the battery is new. According to Arri, an Arri 16S/B should draw about 4 amps running (6A max), so it should last for a mag or two, with a 3Ah battery. Three is probably pushing it. If you already have the battery, by all means, try it out.

How many reels do you shoot in a day? I just ask because I use two sealed lead acid batteries (at 8V) and they can last through all five of my mags.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

The technician is right. A fully charged battery can put out a lot more than it's stated voltage.

Bescor makes chargers.

http://www.bhphotovi...al_Charger.html

B&H stocks other chargers and batteries too.

The drill battery should run the camera. Probably much better when the battery is new. According to Arri, an Arri 16S/B should draw about 4 amps running (6A max), so it should last for a mag or two, with a 3Ah battery. Three is probably pushing it. If you already have the battery, by all means, try it out.

How many reels do you shoot in a day? I just ask because I use two sealed lead acid batteries (at 8V) and they can last through all five of my mags.

At the moment I use maximum 2 magazines of 400' a day.

Bescor batteries are not an option for me as I'm in UK and it costs $290 total on B&H to get them here. Half of which are taxes and shipping costs. Shame.

I think DeWalt is the only portable option at the moment.

Edited by Vadim Trofymenko