slow motion trigger while in manual exposure mode question

Craig Greenbergs

Hi there, I have got a Chinon Pacific 38, very cool camera with the 48 fps slow motion thumb trigger located right beside the regular trigger. My question is, if I am shooting 24 fps in manual exposure mode will the camera still remember to compensate the aperture so my exposure doesnt change when I engage the slowmo trigger, or will I have to be really quick with the manual adjustment ? The manual for the camera states it will auto adjust but doesn't indicate whether it will auto adjust only in auto mode. any experience with this camera ? any guesses ?

thanks!

I have no experience with that particular camera but chances are it will NOT adjust if in manual mode. Do a dry run with no film: hit the slow mo button and see if the aperture adjusts. If it does not show you aperture setting you may be able to look through the gate and detect whether the aperture changed.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

hi again, just wanted to respond in case anyone else has this camera or a similar question

the slo-mo auto compensation does not work in manual mode, you have to be quick with your hands and reset the aperture manually as soon as you hit the slo-mo trigger. You can figure this out if you know the shutter angle of your camera. Your hands will never be as fast or precise as the auto function therefore you will see a brief exposure change in your final product, but it actually turned out looking pretty cool for me!