red in qatar at 40 celcius...

I am shooing four days exterior in Doha with a red camera, the temperature in the shade is 41 celcius,

I asked for large ventilators for the camera and crew,

Do I need to worry about backfocus issues when the camera heats up to these temperatures?

or have I got other and more pressing worries ahead?

Elias Haswany

MENA based DP

• Premium Member
I am shooing four days exterior in Doha with a red camera, the temperature in the shade is 41 celcius,

I asked for large ventilators for the camera and crew,

Do I need to worry about backfocus issues when the camera heats up to these temperatures?

or have I got other and more pressing worries ahead?

Elias Haswany

MENA based DP

I've used the RED in those kinds of temperatures without problems. Just keep the camera fan on the auto mode where it will turn the fan up high in between takes. Whenever possible, give the camera a courtesy to keep it in the shade.

Backfocus shouldn't be too big a problem. I don't know if it gets cold at night there like it does in the desert here, but that may present a bit of a problem with the fast, drastic temperature change in that kind of situation. In my experience, the RED's PL mount is pretty stable. Just check that the screws that hold the mount to the body every morning as part of your routine. The only problems I've had are with those working their way loose slowly.

I did a small test today,

ran the camera at 41 degrees ambient, with both LCD, viewfinder and red drive connected and camera rolling...

after about 50mins the camera reported temp Hi... but it did not stop recording..

I gave it a 10 mins break, afterwards it ran for about 20 mins before it performed a reboot (not necessarily heat related), after the reboot, the battery was at about 23% so I decided to replace it, ran the camera again for thirty mins, it reported temp Hi again, but did not stop recording.

at this stage there was no more point it torturing the camera further and that the next step for me is to get a mobile air-conditioning unit and keep it next to the camera whenever possible.

surely, I will, as Chris suggested, check the PL mount screws, as a routine check..

regards

Elias

Mena based DP

• Premium Member

That's a pretty positive test. I've had that spontaneous reboot thing happen before, and in all kinds of environments. I think you're right when you say it's not necessarily heat related.

Your test was with the fan settings such that the fan runs on high between takes and then goes silent during?

I've had to put ice "saddle bags" on the RED in the past because it shut down from overheating. Two freezer bags tied with some trick line on either side of the camera did the job, it rebooted after about 10 minutes and then I just kept a good bag rotation until the environment cooled down. Hopefully you won't have that problem though.

you're spot on, Aileen I have the same ice saddle bags, and will be counting on those... RED should have engineered a passive radiator built into the housing, right below the top handles. maybe someone would pickup on that and make it as a retrofit.

Elias