500T flourecent lights

Chris Lange

Hello,

A little question regarding flourecent lighting with 500T...

If I shoot 500T Vision 3 in a school room that has flourecent lights, what will the film look like after being developed?

The room has high ceilings, so the lights are fairly distanced from the subject, and framings will be tighter. Also, I will be lighting the subject with kino tungsten lights. This would be a somewhat mixed lighting scheme. Is this a bad idea?

I understand that this question might need an explanation of content. Briefly said, I'm not looking for the most pleasant aesthetic here. I am open to a certain blandness or uncorrected feeling.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

If I shoot 500T Vision 3 in a school room that has flourecent lights, what will the film look like after being developed?

there's a lot of different type of fluorescent lights, but the most likely answer is that the footage would have a slight green tint (due to the florescent) and would also have a blue tint due to using tungsten film w/ lights that are more daylight. if this is your only light source, just make sure to shoot a gray card and the lab should be able to color correct so your footage looks fine. if you want to get the best image possible on the film w/o relying on color correction you should check the bulbs and find out what color temperature they are. then you can use the appropriate filters on the lens if necessary to get everything balanced.

if you also have daylight coming in through a window then it gets a little trickier because you have two light sources of different color and so the lab would have to correct for either the daylight, or the florescent.

i've shot both of these situations going to great lengths to color balance and then also just shooting without even bothering to do anything. the lab was always able to get the footage decent, though if you mix daylight and fluorescent light usually you'll get some green tint that you can't get rid of, however it may not be a big deal depending on what you want.

I understand that this question might need an explanation of content. Briefly said, I'm not looking for the most pleasant aesthetic here. I am open to a certain blandness or uncorrected feeling.

Are you saying that you want the greenish tint? Then you should shoot your gray card with just your Tungsten unit reflecting off the card, isolating that as your neutral color. Then your lights, depending on if they are cool white or warm white, might have a small greenish tint. Maybe then to match your kino, put a plus green on it and CTB/O.

Either that or you could change the bulbs in the sources above. ( A lot of places have boxes of extra floro bulbs too, maybe you can try to find that and put them in your kino fixture if you want it to match)

Or you could gel the area the actors are moving with magenta if there's no way to get to the fixtures above.

http://www.filmtools.com/sekonic-prodigi-c...er-401-500.html

Edited by Rob Vogt