A 15 minute TWILIGHT ZONE in real time OUTSIDE.

Ben Weaver

Hi everyone,

I'm a screenwriter from Montreal and right now im in preproduction gathering all the info for the shooting of my first short.

Like the title says,it's a TZ It's basically a lowlife walking in a downtown area and seeing future events about to happen to him.

It happens in real time,outside,and the one specific thing is that it happens at noon.

So what i'm asking is what would be the very basic stuff i would need to get good lighting

(reflectors ? scrims ? what ? )

i'm looking to shoot this in dv with some 35mm adapter(there's a gentleman here that has a RED ONE ,might be too costly for my money though ) to get shallow depth-of-field because i really want to shoot video,but use all the film tricks.

if you have any questions or need more info,just ask me.

thanks

Ben

my reply to that can only be :

ba-room pssccchh

possessed by Jack Benny much ?

anyone else ?

Bueller ?

Bueller ? (and yeah,i miss John Hugues too.)

i feel my situation is rather unique as i described it in the OP.

That's why i came to this place,figured the vast knowledge pool here would

be just what i need to bring to the DP i will eventually choose.

guess i'll wait.

(Ben takes out the sudoku book,looks at it for a while,then throws it away and gets a Calvin and Hobbes )

• Premium Member

Hi Ben,

You haver asked a question which is so broad that it's likely that many others on here might feel that they would have to write a book length response to begin to answer you. That is actually a common occurrence on here; the "How do I light my movie?" question without a lot more detail.

You have come to a good forum though. I would suggest reading some of the many good books on film lighting that are around (there is a list

on this forum elsewhere) searching the archives on here and subscribing to magazines such as "American Cinematographer".

That could take a long time but if you enjoy it then you'll have fun. In the meantime, if you can formulate some specific questions, then you'll find some good help on here.

For example, consider if people asked you what they needed to do produce good writing. "Good lighting" can mean properly exposed

images but it also can mean much more. If you haven't had even properly exposed shots on previous productions, then getting that could indeed be your number one goal for "good lighting" and could mean getting somebody who knows what he or she is doing, or waiting until you have the skill, gear, and crew to light and shoot it yourself if you have that inclination.