Best Super 16 stock for 1970s look

Jay K Raja

I'm doing a short film that I want to be suggestive of a film shot in the 70s and I'm trying to pick the best stock (Super 16) to achieve that. I've heard some things about the Fuji Eterna Vivid 160...how does that compare to Kodak Reversal stock? I know I'll have to do some work in the DI regardless, but what's a good stock to try and match that look best?

• Premium Member
I'm doing a short film that I want to be suggestive of a film shot in the 70s and I'm trying to pick the best stock (Super 16) to achieve that. I've heard some things about the Fuji Eterna Vivid 160...how does that compare to Kodak Reversal stock? I know I'll have to do some work in the DI regardless, but what's a good stock to try and match that look best?

Hey Jay,

I brought up the V160 in another post about mimicking reversal and do think it would get you to a good starting point for the 70's. You could also look at Ecktachrome 100D if you're shooting outside with decent light. Not sure what your budget is but if you want a cool reversal look you can also shoot neg then make a print of the neg and transfer from that. It's a very cool look. MPC used it for an amazing 1960's commercial... search "Stella Artois "Triple Filtered""

Good luck! Please post the results.

-Paul