Bolex Bayonet to PL adapter

Alexander Yaroshev

I'm going to be shooting with a S16 Bolex SB. I'm considering a PL adapter for the Bolex bayonet mount. Has anyone used this adapter mount with PL lenses? Are there still problems with vignetting in with focal widths lower than 26mm? Are there still focus problems with wider lenses that do not compensate for the prism?

Thanks in advance,

AY

Greetings Alexander,

Yes Les Bosher should be able to inform you all about it.

When are you shooting?

For my part I am going to do a full scale testing in about two weeks time, I will make a test alongside with the bolex S16 bayonet pl mount adapter included. Test will include some set of primes, canon zoom 7-63, zeis 11-110

Regards

Emmanuel from Munich

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings Alexander,

Just finished some testing today and as said I did also test my bolex S16 PL mount. Very pleased with the results. The test was not as long as I had hoped for due to shortage of time, also don't have rod support system for the Canon zoom 8-64.

The lenses used were a set of Zeiss H/S. No vignetting whatsoever. The widest lens used was the Zeiss HS 9.5mm T1.3.

The setup I have is Bolex Bayonet Mount with a PL adapter. All work done by Les Bosher.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Emmanuel from Munich

don't have rod support system for the Canon zoom 8-64.

The setup I have is Bolex Bayonet Mount with a PL adapter. All work done by Les Bosher.

Why not get a frontrod rig from Les? He has a Bolex PL conversion w/ frontrod rig pictured on his website. I'm sure he could whip you up something great.

Hi Emmanuel,

Thank you for the update.

My real concern is focus through the prism (the infamous Bolex prism factor). As I understand it any lens will give acceptable focus stopped down past f3.2 or so. Going any wider without a preset-RX lens (like the RX c-mounts) will give you soft images.

Does the PL adapter correct this? How was focus wide open?

Cheers,

AY

• 5 years later...

Hey guys :blink:

I was wondering if anybody has more detailed info about the Les Bochers Bayonet to PL mount adapter... I am asking this in regard to the famous Bolex prism "problem"?? Has anybody ever worked with it?? I have a converted Bolex EBM Super 16mm and am trying to find out all the lens solutions I have...

Or are we as filmmakers owning a Bolex limited (50mm and less) just to the Switar RX series if we don't want to run into problems? Does the adapter take care of these problems and can you use for example some Arri primes :rolleyes: ???

Thanks guys for all of your help and advice!!!