GOOD LOW BUDGET 35mm CAMERA (SL CINE???)

Alex Birrell

Hello

I am currently prepping a short film that I have written and will be directing through a production company in Liverpool, England. We initially thought to shoot super 16 but I have been investigating price options and if possible we hope to go 35mm.

I'd like to compose for the 2.40:1 ratio if we shoot 35mm and had thought of 2 perf. However, the available 2 perf cameras that I have found in England (from Arri Media UK and Panavision UK) are out of our price range.

The scene can be shot completely MOS. There are three scenes, two are action heavy and without dialogue, one has dialogue but involves rain and metal surfaces so any production track would be mostly unusable. I am hoping that someone here will be able to suggest a place in England with an available Arri 2C or Mitchell R35 or similar camera for rental.

Failing this, I have seen that Panavision offer an SL Cine camera system which is in our price range. Does anyone have any experience of using this camera? Would it be suitable for use as a main camera on an MOS short film shoot?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hiya Alex,

It used to be that you could hire a 2 perf CM3 really cheaply in London complete with tobin motor and PL mount but the guy got a red and sold the cm3. :(

Not sure your budget but maybe you could get your own CM3 kit together?

Curious where you are planning to process the film, if you spoke to any labs about this and how you will go about getting the neg there once it is shot?

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Hi Freya

We plan to use the Soho Images Film labs and to get the film there by courier.

Shame about the lack of 2 perf equipment. We just can't afford the Arri 2 perf 235 or the Panaflex 2 perf that are on offer.

With Panavision's SL cine camera though we can use super 35 (or even anamorphic but we can't stretch to that). Thing is that I can't find much info on the SL cine camera. I see from the Panavision listing that it comes with a video door, don't know if they have any Arri 2c doors and it also only lists the 200 foot magazine but I think this camera accepts the Arri 2C mags.

Do you know anything about these cameras?

Thanks

Alex.

• Premium Member
I'd like to compose for the 2.40:1 ratio if we shoot 35mm and had thought of 2 perf. However, the available 2 perf cameras that I have found in England (from Arri Media UK and Panavision UK) are out of our price range.

I have no idea what your camera budget is but it might be worth looking into buying an Arri IIC and having it converted to 2 perf. Bruce McNaughton of Arandafilm.com.au does these conversions. Then sell the camera when you're done.

...just a thought

Bruce Taylor

2 perf rentals

www.indi35.com