Rigging frames overhead a self storage aisleway

Joey Kennedy

Been reading these forums for a while but first-time poster. Thanks for taking the time to read.

I'm a film student who is working on a low-budget student film here in a couple weeks and our primary location is in a self storage complex, in an aisle way that looks a lot like this.

Central%20Self%20Storage0007CSS.JPG

The DP wants to control the light mostly by diffusing the sunlight from overhead, probably with 2-3 20x frames of hi lite or whatever we can afford. Ideally, we want to rest the frames on the edges of the storage unit so we can shoot coverage freely underneath without stands visible. However, per my measurement the width of the aisle way is right around 20'1."

Is the measurement of the 20' frame from the inside or the outside of the rails? Also, seeing as how it looks like the distance is too great to rest the frame up above safely, is there a way to extend the frame on the sides enough to rest it on top of the storage units on both sides?

Any ideas or insight you have would be great. Obviously, I'm looking for the most economical safe solution.

I would not lay the frames on top of the roof. One, it would be hard to get them properly balanced and secured. Two, the fabric could easily be torn by the metal roof.

If the roof is a sturdy structure and you can get permission, I would put up the frames on combo stands with junior off set arms on both sides. This way your stands will be out of shot and the frames will be secure. There would be additional benefits too. Stronger diffusion by increasing the distance and it will make it easier for your DP to frame wide shots if you have "ceiling" clearance.

True, you could lug a bunch of stands up there. Then, you'll have to lug a LOT of bags for the stands, then a LOT more sandbags to tie the frames down to (put tie lines on the frame), as I assume there is nothing up on the roof for you to tie the lines to. Then, depending on the time of day, you have to worry about light leaks coming in from between the frames and the roof, since the frames are no longer close to the roof, and are instead about 4 feet above the roof.

Instead, here is the easiest, fastest, and cheapest way:

Get your 20-bys. Get 2 pieces of 26- or 30-foot for each rag. Tie two sides (opposite each other) of each rag to the pipes, so you only have 2 opposite sides of the "frame." Place the pipes on the roof, but put a furni pad underneath each end of the pipe (4 furni pads per rag) so as not to "damage" the roof (not that anyone would see anyway). Throw bags on the pipe ends. Tie the other two sides (the sides closest to the edge) to a couple of bags. Done.

If you really want to stretch the rag out, get some pipe flanges (50/T50 wall flange), attach them to some 3/4" or 1" ply (say a 4'x4' cut), and weight down/secure the ply to the roof. Done.

-DW

Edited by Daniel Wallens