Anyone from Australia here?

Mike Currell

Hi all

Just wanting to ask a couple of questions re 16mm stock

Anyone know where to buy it and have it processed in Australia?

Does super 16 have the same perfs as standard 16 ie can it be run through a standard 16 cam?

My current understanding of super 16 is that in a camera that is modified for it, it exposes a wider frame and is suitable for 16 x 9 aspect ratio - is there more to it than that?

Can anyone direct me to a site or thread re DIY developing or is it a waste of time?

Any good threads or sites out there for 16mm learners? - Yes I've googled but can't find much.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here (I'm at the begining of my 8mm learning curve having shot on video all my life) but those 16mm Bolex's on Ebay look so goddam sexy!!! :P

I think it's called "objectophilia"

Mike

>> for Kodak stock ring Kodak, for Fuji stock ring Fuji

Atlab for processing (PM Dominic Case, a user here)

Does super 16 have the same perfs as standard 16 ie can it be run through a standard 16 cam?

>>Yes

My current understanding of super 16 is that in a camera that is modified for it, it exposes a wider frame and is suitable for 16 x 9 aspect ratio - is there more to it than that?

>>No

Can anyone direct me to a site or thread re DIY developing or is it a waste of time?

>>depends on your expectations, personal interest, $$$ and the timeframes involved - it might not be a waste of time if you want a black and white home developed look... Otherwise yes, its a waste of time.

As for sites:

www.cinematography.com

www.apug.org

... and PM Olex (a user here) and ask where his geocities site went ...

Any good threads or sites out there for 16mm learners? - Yes I've googled but can't find much.

www.cinematography.com

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here (I'm at the begining of my 8mm learning curve having shot on video all my life) but those 16mm Bolex's on Ebay look so goddam sexy!!! :P

>>yes they do look sexy huh...

The black RX5's with a full complement of the macro-switars - lovely !

welcome (from melbourne) - by the way ;)

Hi Mike,

for kodak 16mm, call kodak on 1300 139 795

Yes, sound and vision sell it. they also sell short ends and re-cans when they have them.

If youre in melbourne, its not too late to be part of my 'film shooting for artists' course starting next weekend. Its in Preston. ITs 4 days and really is aimed at the bolex/kransnogorsk user. We will be playing with diy processing and printing and that sort of thing.

Here is a link to a site for the workshop:

http://www.suek-artist.co.uk/thebackdoor/#fsfa

if you want to discuss the course and whether its appropriate for you, email me at richard@nanolab.com.au or call 0400 748 864.

cheers,

richard

• Premium Member
Hi all

Just wanting to ask a couple of questions re 16mm stock

Hi Mike.

You certainly can get it processed here in australia. Both Fuji and Kodak stock is available. Speak to Kodak Motion Picture Imaging, they have offices in Melbourne and Sydney. You can also get Fuji through their office in Sydney.

There is Deluxe in both Sydney and Melbourne and I think nanolab in Daylesford may do some 16mm as well. In fact they are more likely to be the ones you want, because youll likely want to shoot reversal.

It's the same perf size, but there are perfs only down one side on Super 16. I think ALL 16mm stock in australia is 1R or single perf for super 16. You can use 1R stock in regular 16 mm cameras.

jb

• Premium Member
>> for Kodak stock ring Kodak, for Fuji stock ring Fuji

Atlab for processing (PM Dominic Case, a user here)

Except when Deluxe took over all the aussie labs (atlab), they no longer had any use for the fabulous Dominc Case who has now gone on to a career consulting !

jb

Hi Mike,

for kodak 16mm, call kodak on 1300 139 795

Yes, sound and vision sell it. they also sell short ends and re-cans when they have them.

If youre in melbourne, its not too late to be part of my 'film shooting for artists' course starting next weekend. Its in Preston. ITs 4 days and really is aimed at the bolex/kransnogorsk user. We will be playing with diy processing and printing and that sort of thing.

Here is a link to a site for the workshop:

http://www.suek-artist.co.uk/thebackdoor/#fsfa

if you want to discuss the course and whether its appropriate for you, email me at richard@nanolab.com.au or call 0400 748 864.

cheers,

richard

Thanks Richard but bugger! I live a million miles from any cultural hive (Whitsundays) and currently have a backlog of wedding videos to edit over the next few weeks. I would love to attend something like this so maybe next time. I want to learn the basics of cine film and thought 8mm would be a good place to start.

Thanks to all replys re 16 mm. I should explain myself and tell you that it wont be for a while that I get to play with a 16mm cam for I have just spent housekeeping on a Bolex B8L plus Paillard tripod plus Eumig "all 8mm gauge" projector from Ebay. My wifes raised eyebrows turned to relief when the cam and projector arrived today and much to our delight both units seem to be in v good condition. The Eumig played "50 years of Mickey Mouse" "super 8 sound" on to the floor (we dont have a take up spool yet!) Sound was gr8, picture was crisp. Extra film gate and standard 8 cogs are evident inside the lamp cover!

The B8L also seems to run smoothly and quitely and for about 20 secs at 24fps on a full wind however I want to send it off for servicing before I run fresh stock thru it. Give me a few months, some trial and error and I will then be looking for a good 16mm cam. I just wanted to research both the affordability and availability of cams and stock etc before continuing in this direction. My expenditure on this gear from Ebay was minimal.....shipping has been the largest expense. The B8L was 33 bucks! the projector $99! When I go 16 I will not be fooling around and know I will have to pay for it!

My background was in TV circa 1990's with 1 inch tape, old Grass valley switching technology, betacam and then a short foray into the cusp of the digital revolution. I was a producer/director for the WIN network, not a camera man, however had a great respect for camera operators that gave me good results. I did actually shoot a few comercials and played around with both studio floor cameras and ENG cams so I do have a bit of behind the lens knowledge. Win Television was very much a multi skilling envoronment - which was a good thing for me. Since leaving Tele, I set myself up rather nicely with a couple of Pro Hd video cams (jvc) some nice spec built computer gear and downstairs has been transformed into a studio complete with an audio booth for voice overs (I also worked in radio and still have a voice). We do a bit of "Marketing on Hold" and the occasional voice over for TVC's and radio comercials. The wedding video's are a pain but keep us afloat. I would like to offer my clients the option of film so that explains my interest in this forum.

I guess I am also tired of making "sausage machine" material however we try and make our weddings look as good as we can. I don't bother uploading my material onto You tube or any tube for that matter as I don't yet have anything that I consider to be good enough to put out there. Clients seem to love our wedding work though.

I have recently learnt that a fellow who I work with in another business (charter yacht industry) was actually a key player in the audio production of the original Mad Max!! It is hard to believe that this guy now cleans luxury charter boats!! He keeps telling me that after Mad Max and a short sabatical, that no one would employ him due to the fact that he had no digital experience and that he was getting to old to retrain! We have the occasional smoko together and toss around ideas about short films....tropfest......documentary making etc. We are both around the same age and I tell him that age has absolutely nothing to do with art! So it may take a few years, a steep learning curve and a lot more spondooley but look out for us old farts at a cinema near you!

It's great to have found this forum however and I cant thank you all enough for your replys.

Mike

actually a key player in the audio production of the original Mad Max!! It is hard to believe that this guy now cleans luxury charter boats!!

Sounds like a good career move to me :rolleyes:

Easier than trying to make a living in the fickle world of filmmaking. (And not many soundies make their fortune in the industry). Perhaps I should consider it :unsure:

And he's done better than the old giant of Australian silent cinema Raymond Longford (The Sentimental Bloke, 1919, generally considered Australia's finest silent film), who finished up as a night watchman on the wharves in Sydney.

Sounds like a good career move to me :rolleyes:

Easier than trying to make a living in the fickle world of filmmaking. (And not many soundies make their fortune in the industry). Perhaps I should consider it :unsure:

And he's done better than the old giant of Australian silent cinema Raymond Longford (The Sentimental Bloke, 1919, generally considered Australia's finest silent film), who finished up as a night watchman on the wharves in Sydney.

Thanks Dominic

I truly understand where your coming from however, I am not going to suggest that he stops trying to pursue his dreams and keep pushing sh*%^&*t uphill!

He worked on many projects both for film and television and has quite a few good script ideas locked in the closet (don't we all)

Where would the likes of Peter Jackson be had he taken his first knock back seriously? It was I believe an 8mm camera that got him hooked and allowed him to finish his very first film "The Valley" that actually raised eyebrows.

Yeah I know we got a lot to learn...a hell of a lot but I know whats possible on video.....just let me loose with film....."space waiting"

Thanks

Mike