Help please! Ektachrome problem!

Zachary Corsa

Hi, I'm pretty new to the Super 8 thing. I have a Canon 518 Super 8 camera and I've used Tri-X black and white on it with no problem. Today I tried to use Ektachrome 64T reveral for the first time. It ran okay for the first thirty seconds but sputtered to a stop. Each time I tried it would do the same thing. Also it wouldn't let me unlock the shutter while the film was in. I removed the film and powered the trigger and it ran fine, so I'm assuming it isn't the camera's problem. But the film won't run for more than a few seconds without sputtering to a stop. And won't let me move the knob from 'R' to 'L.' Can someone please tell me exactly what the problem is here?

Thanks so much in advance,

Zach

It sounds like you have a bad cartridge. It's not uncommon. Before you give up on it try tapping it with the paln if your hand firmly a few times. Some people claim that helps. You can also look at the back of the cartridge, at the cog in the centre that turns, and turn it clockwise a couple of times. This may get you past the jam.

Rick

It sounds like you have a bad cartridge. It's not uncommon. Before you give up on it try tapping it with the paln if your hand firmly a few times. Some people claim that helps. You can also look at the back of the cartridge, at the cog in the centre that turns, and turn it clockwise a couple of times. This may get you past the jam.

Rick

Thanks for relieving my mind! I love this camera; I didn't think it was the camera, since it's running fine and shot fine yesterday on Tri-X. I've turned the cog and such a few times (I should've mentioned that) on the Ektachrome. It'll then run (unevenly) for 10-20 seconds and then just sputter out. So the film's just permanently effed, obviously. Sounds common, though you'd think Kodak would have higher quality control than that for brand-new film.

I'll order some more and if there's still a problem I'll get back to you folks. Thanks so much for the prompt response! Zach

• Premium Member
Thanks for relieving my mind! I love this camera; I didn't think it was the camera, since it's running fine and shot fine yesterday on Tri-X. I've turned the cog and such a few times (I should've mentioned that) on the Ektachrome. It'll then run (unevenly) for 10-20 seconds and then just sputter out. So the film's just permanently effed, obviously. Sounds common, though you'd think Kodak would have higher quality control than that for brand-new film.

I'll order some more and if there's still a problem I'll get back to you folks. Thanks so much for the prompt response! Zach

Whats the batch number on the cartridge box of the 64t?, early 64t were not lubricated and prone to sticking. Batch 311 and higher should be ok...

Whats the batch number on the cartridge box of the 64t?, early 64t were not lubricated and prone to sticking. Batch 311 and higher should be ok...

where do i find that at? i bought the film new from amazon...

also hey another question, i need a lens cap for the camera too. its the 48mm skylight. are the generic 48mm lenscaps universal?

You know, you can only turn the centre core of the cartridge clockwise (with the cartridge lable facing down). If you turn it the other way the ratchet will break and the cartridge will be useless. You can't exclude the camera being at fault I am afraid. Try the cart in another camera. If it fails too, it indicates that the cart is (at least now) stuffed. But if it runs, it means that your camera doesn't have the strength to pull ektachrome 64t. The cartridge core is turned by a little device inside the camera. That device is on a slip clutch. Sometimes the amount of torque needed to overcome the resistance of the cartridge is too much and the clutch slips instead of turning. This inevitably results in a jam. Different emulsions have are different thicknesses resulting in different amounts of torque being required. This is why the camera can be sucessful with some film types, but not others. But it could also be a random thing about the cartridge.

richard

• Premium Member
where do i find that at? i bought the film new from amazon...

also hey another question, i need a lens cap for the camera too. its the 48mm skylight. are the generic 48mm lenscaps universal?

Hi, batch number should be on the side of the box/ the original packaging the film came in.

Hi, batch number should be on the side of the box/ the original packaging the film came in.

If I'm looking at the right number, it's 197.

As for this type of film not working due to the emulsion, I suppose that could make sense. As I said, Tri-X B/W has always worked fine. If the camera doesn't have the torque to power Ektachrome, is that something I can have adjusted or no?

Thanks for all the help so far, folks!

If I'm looking at the right number, it's 197.

As for this type of film not working due to the emulsion, I suppose that could make sense. As I said, Tri-X B/W has always worked fine. If the camera doesn't have the torque to power Ektachrome, is that something I can have adjusted or no?

Thanks for all the help so far, folks!

Update - sure enough, today arrived a new batch of Plus-X and Ektachrome. Plus-X working fine, Ektachrome not pulling for very long. So I guess that was it. Pull torque mechanism effed up. Works for Plus-X and I can survive on b/w for now, but does anyone know how to adjust the torque so I can use Ektachrome, or who I can send the camera to for a repair if need be? Thanks!

Update - sure enough, today arrived a new batch of Plus-X and Ektachrome. Plus-X working fine, Ektachrome not pulling for very long. So I guess that was it. Pull torque mechanism effed up. Works for Plus-X and I can survive on b/w for now, but does anyone know how to adjust the torque so I can use Ektachrome, or who I can send the camera to for a repair if need be? Thanks!

Check the batch number again as that appears to be the problem with the first carts you were using. Try and return the film (explain the issue) and order some more, but maybe from some place else - like directly from Kodak.

As Andy said, you want batch 311 or up. If this new film is from a previous batch it is very likely not your camera that's the problem.

Rick

Check the batch number again as that appears to be the problem with the first carts you were using. Try and return the film (explain the issue) and order some more, but maybe from some place else - like directly from Kodak.

As Andy said, you want batch 311 or up. If this new film is from a previous batch it is very likely not your camera that's the problem.

Rick

Well the first roll i used was Plus-X, which went fine. Then I used Ektachrome, which didn't work. So I ordered from a different place a few different carts of both types and today same thing - Plus-X working, Ektachrome not. Though Plus X hesitated at first. :(

It would seem odd that like four different carts of Ektachrome from two sources wouldn't work, but Plus-X from two sources would. I dunno. If b/w is all that will work on the Canon, it'll be a good backup. Today I obtained a Bauer C1 that I know has been film-tested and has a money-back guarantee. So fingers crossed, I'll report back on how it goes. :)

You guys are amazing for all this help. Thanks again!

It would seem odd that like four different carts of Ektachrome from two sources wouldn't work, but Plus-X from two sources would. I dunno. If b/w is all that will work on the Canon, it'll be a good backup. Today I obtained a Bauer C1 that I know has been film-tested and has a money-back guarantee. So fingers crossed, I'll report back on how it goes. :)

What was batch # of latest rolls? That is the question.

Rick