Top Ten Greatest Super 8mm Kodachrome Telecine Transfers

Myron Lenenski

If you like Kodachrome, you'll love these exerpts. The film is a visual study of Orchids and their ability to attract insects. by tricking them, for food and sex. This is one of the greatest Super 8 films ever made and took seven years to shoot.

We helped Doron Hirschberg of Israel digitally remaster this super 8mm Masterpiece because he needed a Wetgate transfer to conceal projector scratches. He flew all the way to Atlanta to spend three days with John Kuhn of CinePost working with a Cintel Turbo3 in his pursuit of getting a pristine transfer. There were 17 hours of camera footage transferred in this 3 day session.

A link to a 3 minute trailer with just a few scenes from the film can be viewed at Youtube here:

The film originally aired on BBC and is 60 minutes of some of the most amazing Nature footage you will see anywhere. Doron went 10bit uncompressed PAL to Digital Betacam before editing in Final Cut. Some image stabilization was done in After Effects. Color Correction by DaVinci.

Doron Hirshberg is in the process of marketing the restored version to Broadcasting Networks Worldwide. It can be dubbed in any language.

Please comment and share if interested.

Wonderful !!

'Made on Kodachrome'.... K40 perhaps?

What camera?

Fred.

I asked Doron about the camera, here is his response.

"My cameras for the Orchids include: Canon 1014E Beaulieu 6008S Canon 1014XLS Nizo 801Professional. Minolta wasn't in this film. I am interested in working with TV broadcast or Cable TV channels that wish to show their viewers a different look at nature as well as show the natural beauty of the land of Israel. The first version was completed in 1986 after 7 years work and the current new edition was completed in 2007 after another 3 years work of re-shooting about 60% of the film. The film was on BBC2 (12 of August 1987) on prime time - 8:25pm. This new version has been purchased by Duna Televizio (Hungary) and is expected to be on air soon. Date is still unknown. I hope this information assists you."