ARRI 2c

RAJENDRA BISWAS

HI everyone,I am from India,and I justjoined but everybody seems to talking about arri2c,I am more into theatre but filmmaking is something very inspiring to me....I have a arri2c with pancro taylor hobson lens from the 70s..I am interested about peoples opionion the camera.. and i belive its a famous calssic one...the beauty if film cameras is that the film matters unlike digital..for good quality..

i want to use it to shoot highly visualy stuning videos even if its for a minute...i also know that this has a lot to do with film you use and also lens and the format..has anybody shoot with the 2c something amazing? one of my fav movies by luc besson is shot on arri2c anybody knows which shots were filmed on that?

• Premium Member
HI everyone,I am from India,and I justjoined but everybody seems to talking about arri2c,I am more into theatre but filmmaking is something very inspiring to me....I have a arri2c with pancro taylor hobson lens from the 70s..I am interested about peoples opionion the camera.. and i belive its a famous calssic one...the beauty if film cameras is that the film matters unlike digital..for good quality..

i want to use it to shoot highly visualy stuning videos even if its for a minute...i also know that this has a lot to do with film you use and also lens and the format..has anybody shoot with the 2c something amazing? one of my fav movies by luc besson is shot on arri2c anybody knows which shots were filmed on that?

An Arri IIC in good shape with good glass is a very usable camera. It's not a modern camera by any means but it is still capable of capturing very good pictures.

They are used on major motion pictures as an extra camera to this day, our David Mullen used one on "The Astronaut Farmer". The 1970's Speed Panchro lenses (Series II and III) were used as recently on a Hollywood feature as "Milk". "Golden Door" a few years back also used Speed Panchros. The Speed Panchros tend to get used when the production desires a more nostalgic look, but that doesn't mean the images are not great, they are just not as high contrast and incredibly sharp as modern (and VERY expensive) Zeiss and Cooke glass.

Hollywood use of them usually is with cameras converted to use PL or Panavision mount lenses and their Speed Panchro lenses have also been rehoused to fit modern accessories and mounts. But the images taken by an unmodified IIC and lenses would be the same, you'll just have to work harder and plan better to get them.

• Premium Member

Yes, the 2C is a classic. And still a usable camera. Over 17,000 of them were made, far more than any other 35mm motion picture camera. A lot of low budget features from the 1950's onward were made entirely on 2C's. Some MOS shots in big budget features, too.

-- J.S.

Yes, the 2C is a classic. And still a usable camera. Over 17,000 of them were made, far more than any other 35mm motion picture camera. A lot of low budget features from the 1950's onward were made entirely on 2C's. Some MOS shots in big budget features, too.

-- J.S.

thnaks for the reply guys,the fifth element uses 2c so that makes me happy but i guess lenses matter and the film matters..anybody knows which lens was used in arri2c in the fifth element.. i do phtography on film..so similarly why should the body matter in filmmaking odcourse the new ones have video plugin etc...

• Premium Member

Your father knew Satyajit Ray? Outstanding! Did he have any good stories to tell about Satyajit?

Yes, modern films will work very well with a 2C and Taylor Hobson lenses.\

There were doors made for 2C's that have both optical viewfinders and provisions for video taps. I've seen them show up on US eBay. Look for doors described as "Fellini" or "Italian" doors.

hello mr smith,yes my father knew satyajit ray and even helped in a documentary movieproject. he had visited our performingartscenter to make a movie on a indian classical dancer bala subhramanium..."BALA" the footage was shot in our theatre for our centre...it was at that time my father was suggested about the arri2c for making shot movies and documentaries...I think they both shared alot

• Premium Member

As I understand it, it is still common to shoot scratch track and loop later in India. If that's the case, you've got about all you need to actually make a feature length movie. Some reflectors and a reasonable pile of film... You could be Biswaswood.

As I understand it, it is still common to shoot scratch track and loop later in India. If that's the case, you've got about all you need to actually make a feature length movie. Some reflectors and a reasonable pile of film... You could be Biswaswood.

biswaswood is cool name but first iwant a biswashood...and then i will take you all in my hood.sound encouraging to me

mya rri2c isnt upgraded at all while the video plugin doenst other me bcozi am used to shoot photography on e6 film...what i am concerned about is the lense proper exposure and shooting super35mm with aperture.. i dont had hard plmount so hope i dont miss anything

• Premium Member
biswaswood is cool name but first iwant a biswashood...and then i will take you all in my hood.sound encouraging to me

mya rri2c isnt upgraded at all while the video plugin doenst other me bcozi am used to shoot photography on e6 film...what i am concerned about is the lense proper exposure and shooting super35mm with aperture.. i dont had hard plmount so hope i dont miss anything

Kodak makes a 35mm E6 motion picture film, 5285 is the catalog number. If you want to test it in a still camera, it is identical to Ektachrome EK100VS.

Kodak makes a 35mm E6 motion picture film, 5285 is the catalog number. If you want to test it in a still camera, it is identical to Ektachrome EK100VS.

Thank you mayebe iwill try it,whats your opinion on good fuji or kodak stock for arri 2c with a 80mm angeniuex lens?

• Premium Member
wats ur opinion on speed panchro taylorhobson coke ser3

As I mentioned earlier, the Cooke SP II/III series lenses are good lenses still being used on major motion pictures. As far as film itself is concerned, there's nothing about a 2C with Cooke lenses to prevent the use of any modern Kodak or Fuji film.