Dark City...

Gregor Mac

This film is a marvel to watch, the simple effects of high key lighting to make William Hurt et al look great are in my limited experience difficult to achieve.

Any tips on how to do this.

And what film should i use, I mean, is this at all possible on K40 or ASA 100.

• Premium Member

Darius Wolski, ASC is an underrated guy. His credits list is impressive, yet you never hear much about him.

As for Dark City, yes it looks good, but looks ain't all - the film doesn't hold up mainly due to Proyas bad and misdirected fast editing. He never trusts any of the characters to stay on screen for more than a second until he cuts to a new "production value" angle...

Check out Wolski's work on The Crow. Nicely lit and shot film..

Pirates of the Carribean is Wolski's best IMO, demonstrates the most range and doesn't look anything like that annoying "Kino-goth" MTV look you see on everything from The Fan to Stan. The Mexican isn't bad either- Gore Verbinski seems to get the best out of him.

• Premium Member
Pirates of the Carribean is Wolski's best IMO, demonstrates the most range and doesn't look anything like that annoying "Kino-goth" MTV look you see on everything from The Fan to Stan. The Mexican isn't bad either- Gore Verbinski seems to get the best out of him.

I'm very fond of the Kino-lit look of "Crimson Tide" -- but on a fluorescent-lit submarine, it's also completely justified! I wish some of the "Star Trek" movies were lit like that film.

I just posted this in the other post about "Dark City" (which is why it's a bad idea to cross-post) but in case the discussion continues here instead of there):

darkcity3.jpg

darkcity4.jpg

darkcity5.jpg

• Premium Member
Darius Wolski, ASC is an underrated guy. His credits list is impressive, yet you never hear much about him.

I agree Adam, he's very underrated, another strong DP who cut his creative teeth on music videos and spots before moving on to features. There's a nice column about Wolski's ASC award nominated work on "Crimson Tide" in the September 1996 AC and another article about his work on "The Fan" in the June issue of the same year.

"Kino Goth" ... Tim, you're too funny :)

• 9 years later...