new to film ,have a few ?s

Guest jeremy edge

Has anyone ever heard of doing a "ghetto " super 16 conversion on an older bolex h16...

What im speaking of is doing like some do the K3.....widening the gate,finding a lens that covers and leaving everything else the same?

Yes, that's what I'm doing to my K3. I friend of mine owns a hardware store and he's going to widen my gate. I'll let you know how it works out.

I've also considered looking into getting the video transfer done at a higher res...like 800x600 or 1024x768 .that way i at least dont lose pixel resolution?

There is no way to get such a transfer from a regular telecine, you have to go to Phillips Spirit or one of those other babies that handles HDTV resolution. It's expensive to do that.

I'm scared of guesstimating my viewfinder image frankly. In the heat of battle its easy to miscalculate sometimes, especially with some tougher setups. Take your chances, of course. I just don't think its worth the gamble. If you're going to take the care to shoot in Super 16 (I'm guessing this is with intend to blow up to 35mm and go theatrical), it really doesn't pay to gamble with "ghetto" conversions.

- G.

Guest jeremy edge

Actually most of the stuff we do is music video and related..so no I dont think we'll need to blow up to 35mm anytime soon...if I had that kind of budget i wouldnt be buying old cameras off ebay! lol

Actually a properly widened gate would not be a gamble as you could have the lens recentered later. But i am looking into ultra 16 as a possibility because the lens does not have to be recentered ...you could even use douple perf theoritically(if you wanted to) Im not really worried about resale value unless i get into putting upwards of $2000 into the camera.Then I would definitely only go super 16 but of course i think i'd be better off with starting with a newer camera as a building block then.At least a later bolex.

The parellex viewfinder thing does scare me a bit.I'll just have to use it a little and get a feel for how difficult it really is.I did see for about 300- 400 bucks you can get a zoomable lens with a sidefinder giving you reflex viewing.Thats not a bad deal if its a decent lens. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

"Yes, that's what I'm doing to my K3. I friend of mine owns a hardware store and he's going to widen my gate. I'll let you know how it works out."

I know people have had good luck with k3s doing that I just dont know if the same would be true for the bolex.Im thinking the ultra 16 gate size might be my safest bet .My hope would be to do like you...get someone who can look at the exact spec size and just change the gate to that and then hopefully you're ready to go!!

fingers crossed!! lol

Well Eric...

If you're transferring to Film you gotta shoot with the DVX 100 24p or and XL2

You would want a camera that outputs at 24 frames rather than 60i.

And regardless the XL2 and DVX100 are state of the art dv cams

Even if you're finishing on video or DVD.

Go with the 24P camera (I prefer the XL2)

and use some filters like 1/4BPM or Ultra Contrast to soften the image

As for transferring...

rumor has it a good DV to 35mm transfer can go for 500 smackaroos per minute

So the question is why bother transferring DV?

If you're broke and need to shoot go DV

If you're saving up and want to end on Film go for S16.

In the end the format isn't as important as the story.

The cinema's goal is tell a story and hopefully entertain...

Make 'em laugh, make 'em cry, make 'em smile and they'll love you.

KARMA bums